Fixing Panels onto framework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently converting an old bedroom into a bathroom and one side of the (large) room is to be boxed in to hide pipework and the cistern, with a narrow worktop along the entire length (approx 14ft). As all the wet stuff (shower and bath) are some way away, I am using MDF sheets in 6 panels to face the framework. I have already constructed the framework in 48mmSQ stud. The centres of the uprights fit the 9mm MDF sheet width (607mm). The sheets behind the WC and the basin will be permanently fixed but the others I want to be able to remove for access if required.

I intend to seal the MDF and paint over. (My wife knows what colour).

Two questions

1) I want to put a few tiles behind the basin as a small splashback. Any issues tiling onto MDF? This is only a small area on one fixed panel.

2) I would like to fix the panels with no visible fixings but am concerned about the gaps between the panels. If they are not spot on they won't look right. I am considering a T shaped trim in the gaps. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Porker said:
Any issues tiling onto MDF?
I suppose you could drill a few holes for the tile adhesive to grip into.
I would like to fix the panels with no visible fixings but am concerned about the gaps between the panels. If they are not spot on they won't look right. I am considering a T shaped trim in the gaps. Any ideas?
T-shaped are normally plastic not sure how you want to paint over it, might be best to use timber moulding as they come in difference width to hide the screw holes ? then fix it with no-nail or maybe brass screw with cup or veneer pins

The other thing I can think of is to iron veneer strip which is thin and can be painted over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back