fitting a bathroom basin splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. Not sure which forum to post in since it isn't really tiling !
I have had some of these perform panels fitted in my shower (www.performpanel.com) - it's the laminate on moisture resistant mdf. I have some of the panel and edge trim left over and would like to fit it as a splashback for the basin in place of tiles.
The basin has already been fitted and so I was just thinking of fitting it above the basin.
Just wondering how best to fit this, particularly how to seal it at the basin. I had thought to put trim all the way round stick it to the wall with no nails or the like and seal with silicone at the basin. However, someone suggested not having the trim at the basin because if any water got in it would be trapped in the trim and cause problems with the mdf.I thought it would be better to have trim there than just have it sitting on silicone sealer?
Anyone help? or should I just go back to tiles? Or should I be unscrewing the basin and trying to fit a piece of panel that goes behind
Thanks
lou

Sponsored Links
I recently fitted out my brothers bathroom and shower and he wanted me to do the same as you are suggesting, In my opinion it looks tacky but he wanted it done anyway, which I did using the trim available from the panel suppliers, if the edges and trim are sealed correctly you "should not" have a problem with water ingress but time will always tell.

When you fit the panels in the shower then fit the same around the sink and maybe the bath it looks like you have just fitted off cuts, thats all but it is all down to taste I suppose...

Sponsored Links
Might look better with tile trim and sealed all round with silicon, a little neater than square trim.

Thanks
I started off thinking about tile trim but it was difficult to get any that fitted well and thought that if there was a slight gap then more likely if any water got in it would cause a problem. But as you say I would probably need to make sure it was fully sealed.
Does anyone think I should have trim on the bottom where it meets the sink or just silicone it?
Thanks

Run and spread silicon alon the bottom edge to seal the fir and silicon along to the basin, that should sort it out. Are you aware that you can buy tile bead in a flat form which butts to the edge, you can get this from most tile outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back