Kitchen glass spashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have been fitting my own kitchen recently (minus some minor gas work).

I have installed all the units and will be fitting the worktops this weekend. I have purchased some 6mm glass upstands and a splashback. Removing the tiles (must have been there 50 years!) left the wall behind patchy in a few places.

I would appreciate some advice regarding the fitting. Should I:

A) Plaster the wall areas that are bad?

B) fix and MDF/Plywood sheet to the wall then fix the glass splashback to this?

I feel b makes sense as it will give me a little more space to hide an expansion gap for worktop.

Any help would be appreciated including some new ideas!

Sponsored Links
+1 on the plastering - MDF in particular is just asking for problems in a kitchen, plywood is better, but can/will still swell if soaked enough. You're probably best running a small bead of clear silicone along the edge of the glass when installing it - this will seal the joint between splashback and worktop, although longitudinal movement of worktops, even solid wood ones, is minimal

Sponsored Links
Plastering is the way to go IMHO. We bought glass splashbacks and painted the back of them. Might be an idea in your case especially if it hides any uneven walls ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back