KITCHEN SPLASHBACK/UPSTAND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping for some advice on our new kitchen.

We are getting a black granite worktop fitted and want to install a red glass splashback all the way round. Should we install the standard granite upstands and then continue the glass above that, or have the glass coming straight down to meet the worktop, so no upstands?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
i`d say that personal preference as to what look you like i take it these are the glass 4" or 5" tall strips about a metre long?

i`m in the proccess of fitting my mum`s kitchen and she`s having an upstand to match the work top then 2 large glass splash back 1 bright pink and one lime green behind the range cooker
i`m intending to fit the glass behind the upstand creating a stepped effect but untill everything arrives on site and we try different combonations who know`s

cel - we always install granite upstands (usually 100mm tall unless greater/lesser specified by clients) with the wall finish - tiles, splashbacks, etc. - 'sitting' on top of these. Why? A couple of reasons:

aesthetic ... a richer look is created otherwise a granite worktop to the wall will look parsimonious

practical: any undulations in the wall can be disguised with an upstand, an effective invisible water seal can be created below the upstand and the worktop (clear silicone 'squashed' in the interface between the two) which is not noticable - all you see is a clean, sharp corner ... this would not be the case otherwise when an awful bead of silicone (or grout) would be visible between w/top and the wall finish.

So it's upstand then glass above - it'll look great!

Badger - you might like to consider stopping your upstands either side of the range and filling the gap with your splashbacks (bottom edge just below the top surface of the cooker).

IMO, granite upstand, splashback, then decorated wall is going to be too busy, and will detract from the overall effect

The granite upstand is a splashback, so there is no need for two

Sponsored Links
Badger - you might like to consider stopping your upstands either side of the range and filling the gap with your splashbacks (bottom edge just below the top surface of the cooker).[/quote]

Symptoms thank you :D for your input appreciated the worktop is being delivered towards the end of the month and doors etc etc beginning of march i`ll post some pic
s once my mum has decided.
i`ve considered the upstand behind the range as it doesn`t quite butt up to the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back