Help installing new shower enclose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, I would appreciate some advice on attaching U channels of new shower cubicle to wall.

I've just replaced rotted ply with Aqua panel on to 2 wall studded walls. Tiled, grouted and all looking good. I'm just starting to fit new glass enclosure that has a U channel on each panel to attach to wall and slot glass panel into.

However on one wall any form of mechanical fixing will go through porcelain tile, through aqua panel and then have nothing to bite into. Will I be OK with dry wall fixings, ie something that expands out behind panels etc, or dare I use some form of adhesive.

The other panel will be very secure as I fitted addition battens to screw into behind aqua panel. On the other wall I will unfortunately miss anything structural with my screws!!! aargh.

Will dry wall fixings be strong enough, and I will be going through a depth of 10mm tile, 3mmmm adhesive, 12mm aqua panel, so Im curious as to which fixings to use that can reach that depth but without being too large in diameter.

Any suggestions appreciate.
H.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd try conventional good quality wall plugs such as 6mm Fischer......if you get a nice clean hole in the tile and aquapanel you should get a good fixing.
Bear in mind the channels will be siliconed too which will also help.
Cavity fixings, great as they are, require a bigger hole to pass through so if you attempt those first and fail, there's no plan B!
Feel free to glue any plugs in with PVA glue or No Nails if you want.
John :)

Thanks John, I'm still a little worried as plugs will be 15 mm from end of tile and end of aqua panel. Is it not worth a few dots of grip fill along the full length of the chrome channel to spread any forces, or am I worrying too much.
Howard

How is the aqua panel fixed if you have no support within 15mm of the edge?

Sponsored Links
I cant remember precisely where the studwork fell. I will see what I hit tonight, I may be ok , but I seem to think Im just going to miss the studwork.

Howard

Eventually managed to drill the 4 hole required to screw frame to first wall. I actually managed to get a really good hold with the plugs and screws. So by the time its all assembled, screwed and sealed I hope all will be well.

I have read that I should only seal the frame on the outside of the enclosure to prevent water build up in frame etc.

In areas there are slight gaps between frame and tiles on the inside that will obviously let water in, and appear unsightly, only 1 or 2 mm. Should I seal these and leave a small gap at the bottom for any required drainage?

I put sealant in two lines on rear of wall plate then seal both sides, can't have too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back