First attempt boarding; can it be bodged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a go at boarding the other day. But i'm afraid the progress ive made so far doesnt look right. Perhaps i rushed it a little and didnt level the skirting or check for plumbness. The boards are kind of wonky in places meaning there are small gaps. The wall surface behind was uneven too so that didnt help. There are gaps in the centres and some in the corners. I used insta-stik which i'm now thinking could be partly the reason why the boards didnt settle into place correctly. Coupled with my inexperience of course.. :)

Basically i dont know whether i should rip it all down and start again (last option), call in a professional to redo it properly or leave them up and try to bodge it all with plaster myself? some pics attached below for more detail. Can anyone advise the best way forward thanks.

Sponsored Links
It takes a lot of effort to board that badly. :eek: They also look like they are fixed the wrong way around.
That said, there are few un-even surfaces that a decent spread can't put right. ;)

Sponsored Links
the spaces can all be filled with fastset and scrim tape! the boards need to be plumb otherwise the finished job will never look right.

did you take the skirtings off first?

you may be best to get a plasterer in to evaluate the job properly.

if the boards are reversed in the bottom 2 pics you will need to give them a couple of coats of pva otherwise the plaster will bubble.

i'm not so sure, if you look at the board edge in the first picture, i can see no lovely white gypsum sandwiched in there!

i see what your'e saying trowelmonkey i had to look twice myself!
the 2nd pic shows gypsum though............i think :confused:

2nd picture looks like filler OR adhesive to me, and the more you look at the texture of the borwon boards the more chipboardy it looks, we and reply from the 'installer/boarder' really to confirm

2nd picture looks like filler OR adhesive to me, and the more you look at the texture of the borwon boards the more chipboardy it looks, we and reply from the 'installer/boarder' really to confirm

i think he,s hiding now!! :LOL: wonder why :rolleyes:

I’d second the comment that it takes a lot of effort to balls it up quiet that badly & I certainly wouldn’t advise you have a go at plastering it :eek: ! Call someone in who knows what they are doing to see if it can be salvaged; I must admit the stuff in that 1st picture really does look remarkably like chipboard (why on earth :rolleyes: ) & if it is, the only option may be to rip it all down & do it again but properly;

you sure this ain’t a wind up! ;)

Hello folks and thanks for your responses. Yes i can assure you it is plasterboard that i have used and not chipboard :eek: . It may just be the lighting on a couple of the pics that may it look different.

I have finished boarding the whole room now, its quite small about 7'x 6'. Filled in all the little gaps but it still doesnt look right really, because of the uneven boards in some places. But i am seriously considering calling someone in to have a look at skimming it for me. I just hope it can be salvaged otherwise my amateur efforts will go to waste.

REALLY!? have to give you benefit of the doubt there zemphis...

if you don't mind me saying, think i'd get someone in to POSSIBLY skim those for you, if you can find someone that will, at best a pro will make it smooth, but not flat, it will only be as falt as the boards beneath.

did you use a feather edge or straight edge when fixing the boards to the wall to make sure thet were flush and flat?

bit late asking now i know, just kinda curious.

and YES Richard, gypsum sandwiches are great, they clean your teeth and whiten them while eating them too, and you look like the REAL DEAL when a customer see's you eating one while reading the sun in your van :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back