First coat of Zinsser bullseye prime: dilute it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks for useful replies to my previous thread about painting my kitchen. It a 1950's semi with possible lead paint and so I'm going to prime all painted surfaces in the kitchen with Zinsser Bullseye

I started with the inside of a broom closet, the paint in there was thin and calky and the Zinsser went a=on very easily, but it di feel very thick and sticky to work with.

Now I've moved on to the woodwork (previously painted with gloss) and the walls, also gloss I think, but previously had vinyl paper over the gloss.

So here is my question. The Zinsser is not going on well, its streaky and doesnt seem to want to stick, although its not peeling or flaking, just kind of slides about when I put it on, so is this normal? should I thin it down? if so with what?

I gave all the surfaces a good clean with sugar soap prior to painting

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that it was vinyl paper, and I'm almost 100% sure it is gloss on the walls, very slick and shiny, very old, probably the original paint from 1948/50 when the house was built

I did thin the primer and did one coat thinned, then another coat not thinned. I'm planning on doing one more coat of primer as the first coat looks pretty patchy.

I want the final coat to be eggshell, should I do an undercoat.
I want to use a water-based aggshell paint, are they any good?

Sponsored Links
I presume the wallpaper must be an Textured Vinyl then ?

Also, what made you decide to use Zinsser Bin over all your surfaces and/or wallpaper ?

the vinyl had little ridges running diagonally across it

I'm using Zinsser in the kitchen because I believe all the old paint is lead based, so I wanted to seal it

A bit of advice "LindsayO".

Don't get to carried away with the claims Zinsser Bin make on there tin.

I personally find this paint good for only when used to hard-to-stick-surfaces.

Also, best all-round water-based eggshell is Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell.

Third_Eye,
thanks, exactly the advice I needed on the water-based eggshell, I've just finished the second coat of the Zinsser, so its Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell next

Be very carefull with Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell as it can be a bit runny if applied to generously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back