First Fix in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a first fix in a solid floor high ceiling kitchen with all the sockets on their own ring.

Currently the walls are clean brickwork. If I drop the feed from the ceiling to the first socket in capping can I continue down from that socket to the floor and then run the cables on the floor underneath the kitchen units service space (where the legs are at the back of each unit) and then go up and back down to each of the other wall sockets as long as I cover the cables on the wall in capping ?

The last cable will go back up to the ceiling in capping to complete the ring.

When finished the walls will be dot n dabbed over the cappings with plasterboard so the only exposed cables will be on the floor at the back of each kitchen cabinet ?

Or do I have to put them in plastic trunking along the floor ?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you are planning on having them loose and unfixed at the back of the cabinets, thats generally a very rough practice, plus running them at floor level has some issues:

Possible damage from appliances installed in the run of cupboards as they are pushed back.

Some helpful person putting them in an expansion gap in flooring trying to be helpful, etc.

If the plan is to run behind the units, then I'd prefer to see mini trunking installed 6 inches below the countertop level, the joiner then takes a small notch out of the back of the cabinets... just hope that its not an ikea kitchen

under the cabinets is fine..the new circuit will need to be rcd protected..

But would it not be better to put it in fixed trunking, just in case someone wants to change/alter units and as said, move appliances back and forth?

Sponsored Links
What is the reason for doing it the way you ask?

You say the first drop and last rise will be in capping.
Capping is neither here nor there.
What then?
Will it be plastered?

What is the reason for doing it the way you ask?

You say the first drop and last rise will be in capping.
Capping is neither here nor there.
What then?
Will it be plastered?

Yes the plasterboard will be plastered with tiling between worktop and wall units

I thought you had to put the cable in capping if it was behind dot n dab plasterboard although I never understood why as it's hardly protective ?

No need for capping, it is not a requirement, but secure fixing of cables is.
What you must do is route the cable in safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
Also there are regulations concerning the holing of joists.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route

If it is a new circuit, it will require building controls notification in England/Wales and will also need an electrical installation certificate with schedules of inspection and test results.

Yes the plasterboard will be plastered with tiling between worktop and wall units
Why don't you just run the cables form socket to socket then?

Observing safe zones of course.

electrics:installation_techniques:safezones_1_.jpg

I thought you had to put the cable in capping if it was behind dot n dab plasterboard although I never understood why as it's hardly protective ?
No you don't have to.
It is not considered as protection.

Yep that makes sense, they can all run socket to socket in the marked safe zone and then back up to the ceiling. Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back