"clues" for cables not in safe zones

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My CU is in the garage under the kitchen.

The cables for first floor lights, second floor lights, second floor sockets, heating controls (redundant) and immersion heater run up the kitchen wall under the plaster. Now that I have stripped off the wallpaper I can see some of the capping grinning through the plaster. None of these circuits have any sockets or switches in the kitchen. The wall is in a convenient place for utensil racks, wall cabinets etc.

I was thinking how to give a "clue" to anyone wanting to drill holes in the kitchen wall. I was thinking of chipping off some plaster at ceiling level to expose the capping, and screwing some blanking plates to the wall over each run of vertical capping.

Anyone who felt like looking would see the plates and suspect the presence of cables, by removing the plates he would observe the capping running down the wall.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I'd not bother with anything physical, but I would add route and position details to site docs.

I tend to do a full floor by floor layout and cable route map for full rewires and adding in a danger symbol and a notation is at least 20 secs work.

Sponsored Links
really nobody should be drilling into a wall without first testing for pipes or electric. You have to be stupid and asking for trouble if you just decide to drill blind into walls!
Still some sort of site map i suppose, bet you that the new owner wont read it tho and just drill anyway!

I'd not bother with anything physical, but I would add route and position details to site docs.

Surely this isn't an allowable get-out? Even if the route is well documented, you can't just ignore safe zones unless the cable meets the requirements for depth/protection as set out in the regs.

In John's case this isn't a lot of use as the cables are already fitted, so short of moving them it seems like that's another vote for blanking plates!

Surely this isn't an allowable get-out? Even if the route is well documented, you can't just ignore safe zones unless the cable meets the requirements for depth/protection as set out in the regs.

In John's case this isn't a lot of use as the cables are already fitted, so short of moving them it seems like that's another vote for blanking plates!
You can if it is marked as a deviation of the regs on the EIC. I always ask for any certificates before starting work and also use detectors to check.

I have stripped off the wallpaper for redecorating which does not require an EIC or even Minor Works :rolleyes:

the cables have been in the wall since the house was built and I am not moving them.

I'll bet you £5 that 99 DIYers out of 100 wouldn't look for the EIC before fixing a mug-hook to the wall.

i still stick by the fact that its not a problem unless your stupid enough to drill into walls without checking what is there! Every tradesman that is fit to carry out work and drill holes should check first, or should not be doing the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back