Need to move cooker switch - Part P?

If you did that and the result was a massive bang and no power to your house, what would you do then?

Or nothing appeared to happen but when you pulled on the oven door handle you got a fatal electric shock?

The chances of that are nil unless I was really stupid (even then I am hard pushed to think how I could create that scenario). All I am doing is extending a cable. This involves connecting live, neutral and earth to live, neutral and earth, checking I have done it correctly, checking again, and checking nothing has pierced or pinched the cable. I am capable of doing that.

Sponsored Links
If a cable needs mechanical protection because it is not in a Zone then steel capping is not adequate for that. Capping is just to hold cables in place so that they can be more easily plastered over, and (some say) to protect them during plastering from being damaged by the plasterer, but given how protective they are of the edges of their trowels etc I can't see them hacking at cables.

Thanks ban-all-sheds. I have read up on safe zones now (not some dark and complicated thing as I assumed!) and all cable runs can be in safe zones.

Last edited:
Is their an rcd at the mains board protecting the circuit. If their is an rcd no mechanical protection is required. If their is no rcd then steel capping is required. I would joint the new cable on 40amp connectors and put a blank plate over the old cooker point

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression anything not rcd protected needs to be chased to a certain death and have metal protection. So long as it was metal capping and not pvc

I was under the impression anything not rcd protected needs to be chased to a certain death and have metal protection. So long as it was metal capping and not pvc
But not if it is on a safe zone - or did I read that incorrectly?

Metal capping does NOT provide protection in this context, it is too thin. Steel or PVC capping is a "convenience" and is never required by the regs. Steel conduit is a different animal altogether.

I just thought the capping had to be metal and had to be a certain depth. By far the easiest solution is rcd protection. If it's an mcb board and their is no rcd protection then put an rcbo in instead of the mcb. By far the easiest solution

No offence intended M90, I'm interested under which Ed. did you qualify, what course did you take and what qualifications have you achieved since?

City and guilds level 2 and 3, did the AM2. 17th edition but that's what I was trained to at college. JIB gold card. Don't have inspection and testing. I don't work in domestics I work at a hospital. More commercial. We do conduit and trunking there so capping is never used but I was under the impression steel capping was classed as mechanical protection. Wer always learning

I was under the impression steel capping was classed as mechanical protection.
What was your impression of how it could be earthed?

Wer always learning
plus_one.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back