Using a blanking plate to indicate safe zone

Sponsored Links
If the cable went through the box, and in there it had been cut and the cut ends joined in a connector block (or Wagos, or whatever), someone who didn't like the look of the blank plate could remove it, and fill the back box with plaster.
Someone could remove a socket, join the wires OR NOT and fill with plaster.

We do not have to cater for future idiots.

Sponsored Links
If the cable went through the box, someone who didn't like the look of the blank plate could remove it, and fill the back box with plaster. If the cable went through the box, and in there it had been cut and the cut ends joined in a connector block (or Wagos, or whatever), someone who didn't like the look of the blank plate could remove it, and fill the back box with plaster.
That's all true, but there's a limit to how far one can/should go in trying to anticipate the behaviour of idiots.

The point about having the cable 'going through' the box, with or without a 'cut and join' (connector block, Wagos or whatever), is that anyone contemplating doing as you suggest would see the cable (and, if present, connector block/Wagos/whatever) and would therefore be knowingly 'plastering in' some electrical wiring/connections - which few sane people would do. However, if they took the blank plate off and found an empty box (the cable going around or behind it, and not visible) even a sane person would probably conclude that it was unused, not related to anything electrical and thus 'fair game' for filling with plaster.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Slow typing again!

Someone could remove a socket, join the wires OR NOT and fill with plaster.

We do not have to cater for future idiots.
No, we do not.

But we do have to note that 522.6.202 (i) only talks about cables connected to a point, accessory or switchgear.

It is difficult to achieve a solution that deals with the idiot factor. But common sense applied, the solution would be to have the cable routed through a backbox, then a plate over this. I would have thought an uncut cable would would be in the spirit of this requirement, as it would as already said prevent the box from being easily removed.
The regs (BS7671) does state the cable is connected to an accessory, switch gear or point.
So I would think that connectors on a current using circuit would meet that requirement.

before deciding whether or not to take electrical installation advice from Gaz.

Please explain, I don't understand what you mean? The link I posted wasn't a thread started by me BTW. It wasn't my rewire, that's just the thread title.

Last edited:
Just a thought from a total numpty. Would it be acceptable to put a 2 Amp socket on a lighting circuit ?
Yes, but stop calling it a lighting circuit. It could be a fan, shaver, smoke alarms and light circuit.
It is an electrical circuit likely using a 16A cable which happens, through tradition, to have a 6A MCB through which you can supply anything suitable in a method the complies with the regulations.

If so, that would give you a connection which could only be used for currents within the circuits capability.
Theoretically, but the way things are getting a bit silly here, someone is likely to ask "What if someone puts a 2A plug on their large hadron collider and plugs it in?"

The MCB will trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back