My Complete DIY Rewire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That's actually not compliant as the 'safe zone' only applies to cables connected at the accessory position.

What about the 6" from corners/ceiling safe zones? Nobody is going to have an accessory there. It seems like a very odd ambiguity in regs, in my mind a zone is a zone. If the zone is defined by one accessory then it exists for all accessories. Strange.

There is also a double socket directly below the light switch.

What about the 6" from corners/ceiling safe zones? Nobody is going to have an accessory there. It seems like a very odd ambiguity in regs, in my mind a zone is a zone. If the zone is defined by one accessory then it exists for all accessories. Strange.
Safe zones are defined as either those created by accessories or the areas within 150mm of corners/ceilings - they are totally different criteria, hence no 'ambiguity'. Many people feel that having corners creating safe zones is a little silly, since that is a likely fixing place for, say, the end one of a line of kitchen wall cabinets.

Kind Regards,John

Safe zones need to take account of the situation where an accessory and its wiring is removed leaving hidden wiring unprotected.

That's actually not compliant as the 'safe zone' only applies to cables connected at the accessory position.
Is that right?
Yes. 522.6.202.

What about previous advice here on fitting an accessory box in line with a run of cable so that the cable run will be in a safe zone?
Has there been such advice?

The cables just pass through the box. But surely it is still valid?
I suppose you could count passing through as connected but underneath as in the picture would definitely not.
(Although, here cables safe by the socket beneath but made a hazard by the box on top)

Is that right? ... What about previous advice here on fitting an accessory box in line with a run of cable so that the cable run will be in a safe zone? ... The cables just pass through the box. But surely it is still valid?
I'm not sure that have (or should have) seen such advice. The usual consensus is that (as the regs essentially say) the cable has to be 'connected' to (or within the back box of) the accessory to create a safe zone. If that were not the case, then it would be possible to remove the accessory but still leave the cables there (particularly in the situation per OP, with cables behind the box), but no longer in a safe zone.

Kind Regards, John

Safe zones need to take account of the situation where an accessory and its wiring is removed leaving hidden wiring unprotected.
If the light switch was removed, the socket and 2.5mm cables would still be present
They would, and that point has already been made. However, in different circumstances (e.g. no socket on that wall, the 2.5mm² cables merely going 'from floor to ceiling') then it would be possible to remove the light switch and leave the 2.5mm² cables there, but no longer in a safe zone.

Kind Regards, John

Ok that makes a lot of sense, the consideration is if the light switch is removed.

I do have another situation where 2.5mm cable have been designed to run in the same chase as a light switch and without a socket on the wall. In this case would I be best running the 2.5mm cables through the back box? Making it impossible to remove the light switch without noticing the other cables?

Thanks for the help guys, I feel we're actually getting somewhere here. And the comments about taking the glue gun off me made me laugh :)

I do have another situation where 2.5mm cable have been designed to run in the same chase as a light switch and without a socket on the wall. In this case would I be best running the 2.5mm cables through the back box? Making it impossible to remove the light switch without noticing the other cables?
Through the box is better than not through the box, but many/most people would still not consider it as being compliant with the regs. It's not just a case of 'noticing' that the cables are present when one takes the light switch off - someone could theoretically remove the light switch and 'plaster in' the back box, leaving th 2.5mm² cables still buried in the wall, but without anything visible to create a safe zone for them.

Couldn't you connect a socket to the 2.5mm² cables somewhere along their length, thereby creating a safe zone for the cables?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back