DIY rewire complete!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All wiring now in at our pad, 3 new 2.5 ring finals, 2 extra lighting radials and new circuits for immersion, smoke alarms, cooker circuit working fine. Fuse diagrams and circuit diagrams been done on CAD, so we have a much better system than previously. For example, a supposed 2.5mm ring was in fact broken, and supplied all sockets in the house, on a 32A breaker (18 double sockets on one radial) :eek: . Now, with increasing the number of rings, we actually meet the requirements for voltage drop and have a system that will be realistically as far from overload as possible.

Self-hire MFT confirmed that, funny old thing, competence doesnt require a load of paperwork from the council nor a load of certificates from a theory based 2 week part P course. All paperwork has been completed however, the only bit that hasnt is the notification (balls to the council).

Cheers for all the advice on here. Really helped at times to do my rewire safely and get round a number of issues I faced when installing over the past month.

Will be selling my on site guide over the next few weeks as I shant be needing it again.
:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
So it's head in sand and fingers up to the authorities :LOL:

I admired your bravardo, although I'd have suggested that you finish the job by complying with the laws and regs.

The test certificate means nothing if the job hasn't been notified and hasn't been passed via a scheme registered electrician. For any third party who may in future want to have the installation rubber stamped they will have to go for a full retest.

Reason- the results you have written could be more fictive than a Harry Potter novel.

the results you have written could be more fictive than a Harry Potter novel.

Some of the results written on installation certificates provided by "qualified" and "competent" electricians are pretty much works of fiction.

Sponsored Links
So it's head in sand and fingers up to the authorities :LOL:

I admired your bravardo, although I'd have suggested that you finish the job by complying with the laws and regs.

The test certificate means nothing if the job hasn't been notified and hasn't been passed via a scheme registered electrician. For any third party who may in future want to have the installation rubber stamped they will have to go for a full retest.

Reason- the results you have written could be more fictive than a Harry Potter novel.

Well, they could be, except they are megger printouts from their bluetooth app which transfers the results to my PC.

The whole point of the test is to check for safety, so I dont give a rats a$$ if they wont rubber stamp it! The test was done as an integrity check, not as a tick on a list I need to complete.

To be honest, I wouldnt have anything other than a full PIR done prior to resale anyway (circa 25 years possibly?)

Anyways, thanks again one and all, I am off to the decorating forum now to get some tips on how to put my home back together!

Its brown something else that might hit the fan if there is a need to claim on the house insurance.

Its brown something else that might hit the fan if there is a need to claim on the house insurance.

Utter Rubbish. Firstly, I have checked the install against the requirements set out in British Standards, the on-site guide and recorded as required. I have an electrical engineering degree for a start, I dont have an NVQ. Does this mean I cannot claim competency?

If you want to know the REAL reason why they want notification, have a look what is happening to plumbers at the moment vs the taxman. Gas Safe registration and notification has left them wide open to tax claims for cash in hand work!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13203122

Its a scam. A complete and utter scam. There is NOTHING in the new installations certificate that I can find that means that as someone as an electrical engineering Masters, I cant sign off on the certificate. As I say, balls to part P, its a joke and is hopefully going to be scrapped with the ongoing consultation with the building regs.

I , being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing of the electrical installation, (as indicated by the signature opposite) particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection and testing, hereby certify that the said work for which I have been responsible, is to the best of my knowledge and belief, in accordance with BS 7671-2008

This isnt a bodge. Its an installation that meets the above requirements. So, as I said, balls to notification. The local authority can enjoy their non-job busybodying whilst I crack on.

Anyways, you were all a great help, so thanks. Like many coming off theory based paper courses, I didnt have all the required practical skills required, hence questioning on here. [/quote]

I totally agree that many DIY people are fully competent to design and install a perfectly safe domestic electrical system. Some will do it to a higher standard than some trade electricians will do it. Own home, cut no corners tends to make better installations.

Competence in DIY should be recognised when it is there and encouraged whenever possible.

I built my own house 30 years ago with just me and my wife doing 95% of the work including all the services. Now when downsizing the lack of "official" certificates for some of the the work has been a sticking point in selling. Mainly insurance and mortgage applications for the buyers came back with a lot of questions. We got a cash buyer who knows the house and took it without survey.

There was small problem for us some years back with an insurance claim for a no blame incident and I needed to prove my competance to the insurance company before they would pay out. Fortunately the loss adjuster was able to verify that my work was of the right standard and did not contribute in any way to the loss and authorised the payment in full.

People I know who have done DIY without proper notification have had big problems with insurance claims and when selling.

To be honest most people I know who have recently notified building control of DIY work have had a lot of help and useful information and guidance from the building inspectors.

They are not there to make money but to try and ensure tradesmen build safe houses and to guide DIYers away from pit falls and ommissions that would create hazards.

Yes there are jobsworth inspectors but most inspectors are only too keen to help a DIYer who accepts their advice on how to do work properly and safely in their own home. It makes a pleasant change from battling devious builders and tradesmen who are trying to increase profit by cutting corners on someone else's house.

Utter Rubbish. Firstly, I have checked the install against the requirements set out in British Standards, the on-site guide and recorded as required. I have an electrical engineering degree for a start, I dont have an NVQ. Does this mean I cannot claim competency?
I don't think anybody here is saying you are not competent - but you obviously feel your competency would be challenged if put to the test.

If you want to know the REAL reason why they want notification, have a look what is happening to plumbers at the moment vs the taxman. Gas Safe registration and notification has left them wide open to tax claims for cash in hand work!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13203122
Yes it was doctors last year - but they are declaring an amnesty for plumbers. As for using the Gas safe registration I think more likely they will use local adverts as a means of identifying those people who are not registered with a scheme and not therefore registering work with the LA.

Its a scam. A complete and utter scam. There is NOTHING in the new installations certificate that I can find that means that as someone as an electrical engineering Masters, I cant sign off on the certificate.
Again nobody is saying you are not competent except perhaps yourself. If you were confident you are competent then why not but it to the test with the LA.
As I say, balls to part P, its a joke and is hopefully going to be scrapped with the ongoing consultation with the building regs.
You must really be on something strong if you think a tax raising system is going to be dropped. More likely the LA's and the Government might actually get round to enforcing it.
You might has noticed that some home insurance companies are now starting to include Part P in their exclusion list i.e. no part P certificate no payment for faulty electrical work that causes fire or injury.
It might be worth checking your own policy.

Good Luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back