Rewire questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a complete new rewire carried-out in a residential property. Regarding the installation of the new sockets, I have two questions:

i) is it compliant to have any of the new sockets on a radial circuit fed from the board rather than on a ring main and
ii) is it compliant to have any of the new sockets spurred off the new ring main (either off the cabling or from one of the sockets on the ring)

Thanks in advance of any responses.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i) Yes that's fine.
ii) Yes but it would be a poor way to go and I would certainly avoid it. It makes future extensions etc. a right pain.
Why isn't your electrician designing the circuits?

He is. He has put a ring main in but has also put a separate radial circuit in for a couple of sockets on the same floor. I thought this seemed odd as I just expected all of the new sockets to be on a ring main. If it complies though, then I do not have an arguement but I just thought i'd ask - I still think it's odd though :confused: but who am I....

Sponsored Links
No, they are just normal socket outlets and are there to plug anything into

There's nothing wrong with it. It may just be easier for him to have those two sockets on a separate circuit.
Sometimes one comes across something in the structure of a buiulding that is difficult to cable round or through (like an RSJ for instance).

WHy do you not ask him? just say "as a matter of interest, why have you done that……."

I know some people like the idea of radials but nothing wrong with the ring final system there are advantages and disadvantages with both and both are compliant.

The selection is cost against likely hood of tripping and unless using RCBO's then no real gain using radials, and if you are using RCBO's radials become expensive. In an ideal world a radial to each room from a RCBO would be great, but in the real world the ring final is far cheaper and has less volt drop problems and is one of the great British inventions.

So basic answer is nothing wrong with what you have.

(either off the cabling or from one of the sockets on the ring)

If from the cabling then the junction point must be accessable for inspection / maintenance. ( I don't trust so called maintenance free connectors ) Hence take the spur from a socket

As has been said or implied, there is nothing wrong with what you have described, but if you and your electrician are planning this rewire, it would be better if he is installing a ring final circuit to make every point on the ring and not to have any concealed connections (even MF). In some cases, a 20A radial is perfectly adequate, in other cases a 32A radial can be used.

As you are the end user and the bill payer, I would talk to the spark and make sure you get what is best for you and not what's easiest for him, if that is what it boils down to.

As has been said or implied, there is nothing wrong with what you have described, but if you and your electrician are planning this rewire, it would be better if ....
Unless the wording is regarded as ambiguous, it sounds as if the electrician is probably beyond the 'planning' stage ...
He has put a ring main in but has also put a separate radial circuit in for a couple of sockets on the same floor. ...

Kind Regards, John

I am somewhat on the fence, but leaning more and more to radials. I like the redundancy of a ring finals, but it's a double edged sword - I hate the fact the a potentially dangerous fault can go unnoticed, potentially indefinitely.
Yes, it's all 'swings and roundabouts'. The L&N redundancy is, in some senses, undesirable, but the CPC redundancy is, IMO, advantageous. Let's face it, a faulty CPC will usually go unnoticed whether there is redundancy or not, but, with redundancy, at least most/all of the circuit remains 'safe' unless/until a second fault arises.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back