Is this a DIY job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my new house and have been making all the single sockets doubles.

Was working upstairs and isolated the upstairs sockets at the MCB. I've got one of the plug socket testers and tested the landing one and was dead so got to work taking the sockets off. I don't know why but I decided to test each socket individually just in case. Finally got to the main bedroom and the last 3 sockets and all of them were live. :eek:

Some genius has connected them to the downstairs socket circuit.

I'm going to get a spark in to sort it unless there really is a simple solution?

Sponsored Links
The simple solution is to just leave it as it is and use the experience as a reminder that you must always prove that the wiring is properly isolated before commencing any work on electrical circuits.

there was probably a good reason to connect them to the down stairs circuit. Like it was much easier.

Leave it as it is, unless you have the floor boards up and can see its easy to change

Sponsored Links
Action is needed if the added sockets are a string of sockets connected to the downstairs ring final without a protective fuse, etc.

I did something similar in our place.

The CU was unlabelled when i moved in, so i flipped the circuits off one by one to see what they powered and labelled them up.

One breaker made the livingroom turn off, so i labelled it downstairs, another made the computers in my study upstairs go off so i labelled it upstairs. Kitchen had its own. Ideal.

Till sometime later i was changing a livingroom socket, and noticed afterwards that i'd reset the clock in the upstairs front bedroom.

Some investigation showed that infact it wasnt an upstairs downstairs split as it had originally seemed. It was a "front" and "back" split. Moving the kitchen to its own ring meant that "back" now is only feeding the upstairs back bedrooms, and "front" is doing the front bedroom and the livingroom. One of the bedrooms also seems to have one socket on each circuit, due to the layout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back