New electrical cables in wall not in conduit

It's been discussed before, and whatever the rationality, or lack of, there is no doubt that 522.6.202 (i) only talks about cables connected to a point, accessory or switchgear.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
iYuQR69.jpg

That work hasn't been done correctly, i don't understand why on earth they haven't come through the top of the box. There's absolutely no need to twist cables like that in the back box either. i normally dress cables into the inside around the wall of the box so plasterers don't need to move them out of the way

ae235

They should be using something like this to hold the oval conduit, it's not a critical thing but these are designed for it. It looks like a very inexperienced/novice

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
It's nearly right.

The wiring in the studwork will be about 50mm from the finished surface.

The wiring at the top of the studwork that you circled isn't in line with the socket, yet can be anywhere within 150mm from the ceiling, again will be around 50mm from the finished surface.

The wiring in the solid wall just slightly meanders from the cable zone by a gnat's cock.

All in all, hardly even worth mentioning - as all I've said will be thrown back at you. Seen far worse installations than that.

But if you're really bothered get them to change it - though I can't imagine anyone will want to change it.

Regardless of whether it's right or not in terms of regulations and workmanship, that combination of fittings is going to be a constant niggle to anyone who isn't blind or paralytic. Fittings "not quite in line" comes up alongside "fittings not level" on my list of things that irritate me :rolleyes:

<gets coat>Mine's the one with a small spirit level in the pocket.

That looks like a spur off a spur (unless it's a radial circuit) and shouldn't there be grommets on the box entries.

It's my guess that the bottom box is an old one that will be plastered over. It's just that he couldn't be bothered to remove it.

Hmm, leaving an old box in place, with an unidentified bit of cable sticking out of it ...
And of course, had he removed the box, he could have put the new cables in the safe zone :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back