First fix wiring test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

can anyone tell me whats involved in getting the first fix electrics tested.

We have just got the house plastered and for my own peace of mind I'd like to know if a plasterboard screw or floorboard nail has 'nipped' a cable.

like i say I'd like to know what tests are required and what would a ball park figure be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why? An insulation test would tell you everything you need to know. But as long as your cables are in safe zones and RCD protected, you'll be ok.

Sorry guys,

I may not have made this clear. It's a new build first fix, we don't even have the power to the dwelling yet.

I understand the rcd's will trip at the slightest imballance, it's just I would like to know if all the cables are fully intact (no cuts or breaks)

Ta

Sponsored Links
They'll be testing when its finished,as long as its been installed correctly and ran in safe zones then it should be ok.Have you reason to think there may be an issue?

Mmmmm! No, but it was difficult sometimes.
Some tradesmen, just want to get in finish the job and get paid as quickly as possible without even considering the trades that follow.

No reason, just for my own peace of mind.

I would imagine if, when the electrician comes back to second fix, and there is a problem, it might be more difficult to rectify if the solid floors are down and the second fix joinery is complete.

Ask him to test all the cables now then, before its too late. Its not a big job.

I'd like to know if a plasterboard screw or floorboard nail has 'nipped' a cable.

Testing won't tell you that, if a screw has gone through the insulation and is touching, even partly cutting, a conductor then a test from the ends of the cable is not going to find that.

Visual inspection and safe working around the cables is the only way to ensure there is no damage of that sort.

Testing will find short circuits caused by a screw touching two conductors,

Testing may not find conductors that have been cut by a screw because the connection can remain "intact" through a remant of conductor or through the screw touching both cut ends. Both of these will fail later.

Thanks folks,

I am fairly confident that the cables are intact, howeverI think I'll get 'sparky' to run a check on them before we 'go live' and that will also tell a tale.

Thanks for the input.

I would listen to what your spatrk has to say first, but IR testing might help identify any problems, especially while the plaster is still damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back