First Floor Fire Place - Bottomless Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have opened up a fire place on the first floor of a 1900 victorian property. There seems to be a bottomless hole where the old fireplace would have been? I assume that the chimney stack is hollow and whoever built the property filled it with rubble and bits of wood etc.

I was going to fill it back up with sand then pour a concrete hearth on top. Has anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• 20190114_203744.jpg
    20190114_203744.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 223
  • 20190114_203749.jpg
    20190114_203749.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
the chimneybreast usually contains (at least) one flue for each floor of the house. The fireplace is wider so the flues will snake around them. It's possible the first floor flue stops near the ground floor fireplace, which is likely to be centred in the chimneybreast, and bigger than the upstairs openings. You might consider filling it up with a non-flammable material such as exfoliated mica, and laying your concrete on that, spiked or bracketed to the brickwork as the filling will settle.

Sponsored Links
the chimneybreast usually contains (at least) one flue for each floor of the house. The fireplace is wider so the flues will snake around them. It's possible the first floor flue stops near the ground floor fireplace, which is likely to be centred in the chimneybreast, and bigger than the upstairs openings. You might consider filling it up with a non-flammable material such as exfoliated mica, and laying your concrete on that, spiked or bracketed to the brickwork as the filling will settle.

I think you might be right. Whats exfoliated mica?

Non-flam insulating flakes

AKA vermiculite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back