First Flooring attempt - Engineered Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to purchase some engineered wood flooring and will be trying to lay it myself.

It's an old home with a floating subfloor of wooden boards over joists. The previous floor was a bit 'clicky' when walked on - would nailing down the next floor help with that? Or for a first timer would it just be simpler/easier to float the boards ontop of the subfloor (plus underlay)?

If I go down the nailing route - can you nail the boards with a click inter-lock system or is that best suited to the tongue and groove style boards?

Many thanks for any input given

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would avoid nailing a floating floor down. Do you have any pipes, electrics etc in the subfloor? Access would mean destroying floorboards.
Probably better to make the floor as level as possible, use a good underlay, and hopefully it won't be clicky.

I have this job coming up this year ... not looking forward to it!

Yes, I'll put an underlay down but will be at 90 degrees to the current floor boards

Sponsored Links
If floating use a good underlay like Duralay Multitex, don't use the thin foam underlays and the subfloor still needs to be 'good' for best results.

If you go down the nailing option, you will need to 6mm Ply the floorboards first and then you can secret nail or glue the floor down to this, you can't secret nail or clue 'click' Engineered, only tounge and groove engineered. You will need to leave expansion around the outside of the room with both floating or fixing installation options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back