First Homeowner Project Ever: Changing Ceiling Texture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need you guys’ approval on the method/approach for my first project, on my first home: Removing the popcorn ceiling texture and applying knockdown texture (since it's empty). Please give this a quick read and let me know anywhere I am off, or just give me the thumbs up/go ahead.
Please keep in mind I am not experienced with.. well just about anything in the realm of homeowner maintenance/improvements/etc. So some things may be obvious to you, but not to me. BTW 8' ceilings.

1- Remove Popcorn. Wet ceiling with water using a compressed air sprayer. Scrape off popcorn.

2- Use joint compound to smooth out imperfections.

3- Sand the ceiling with one of those sanding pads. Now have a smooth ceiling.

4- Do I need to roll on primer first? Do I roll a layer of paint before applying texture? …lost here. If so, what type/brand of primer/paint is best for this?

5- Someone told me I could apply the texture using a sponge or plastic bag, and that using a hopper is a giant pain in the ass, but I think I'll stick with the more conventional method of using a hopper.

6- What type/brand of texture do I use? Any tips on mixing thickness and such? Tips on mixing thickness and such?

7- Need tips on the technique for applying the texture. What setting to use on hopper.. I plan on just going in a “wavelength” pattern and trying for uniform coverage.

8- Need tips on knocking down the texture with trowel. Pressure? Angle?

I really think I can get it done rather easy, but am a bit nervous. Obviously most of the things I am unsure of is about the actual materials I am using, i.e., Primers, Paint, Texture compound.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back