First Time Buyer and Small Crack in Exterior Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are to buy a house and there is a small crack in the exterior wall from the corner of a window but it doesnt go completely to ground. Can anyone give any idea whether this is serious issue or not.

Thanks

Rob

https://goo.gl/photos/5LUtR8iLqasvG2Mk9

5LUtR8iLqasvG2Mk9

Sponsored Links
Probably settlement due to the extra weight of the ends of the window lintel relative to the lack of weight where the window is.
What did the surveyor say, if any?

Probably settlement due to the extra weight of the ends of the window lintel relative to the lack of weight where the window is.
What did the surveyor say, if any?

We are awaiting a valuation survey, we thought it was probably due to the window being fitted. The crack is very slight and the bricks are all aligned so doesn't look like there is any movement but thought i'd try and get an extra opinion on it.

Thanks

Which direction does it face? It might even be down to heat expansion.
Its unlikely to be anything to worry about.

Sponsored Links
That has the appearance of foundation movement.

Is there a crack internally, or hollow paster?
Is there a corner to the right just past the meter box?
Is there a drain gully or downpipe near?

That has the appearance of foundation movement.

Is there a crack internally, or hollow paster?
Is there a corner to the right just past the meter box?
Is there a drain gully or downpipe near?

Oh, is that serious? There is a corner to the right. There is a sink in front of it internally and we cant see the wall. There is a down pipe on the corner.

You can see on this pic where about's it is, its under the bottom right window near the white gas box.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...allery.html?propertyId=58614988&photoIndex=0#

Thanks

Thats a typical crack in a typical location for there to be potential movement of the corner foundation, and the most common cause would be that drain on the corner leaking, or the drain that the sink goes in to.

A valuation survey is useless. Get the drains CCTV surveyed at the least, but consider a homebuyer survey or just a partial survey for someone to look at that crack.

If it is foundation movement, caused by a drain leak, then its not serious and once the drain is repaired the crack tends to close back up. But I would not class that as minor, and suggest getting it investigated, as its the sort of thing that can get worse.

Thats a typical crack in a typical location for there to be potential movement of the corner foundation, and the most common cause would be that drain on the corner leaking, or the drain that the sink goes in to.

A valuation survey is useless. Get the drains CCTV surveyed at the least, but consider a homebuyer survey or just a partial survey for someone to look at that crack.

If it is foundation movement, caused by a drain leak, then its not serious and once the drain is repaired the crack tends to close back up. But I would not class that as minor, and suggest getting it investigated, as its the sort of thing that can get worse.

Ok so will a homebuyer survey cover that or should i get a full structural?

Thanks

You wont need a full structural survey - unless you have other concerns about the walls floors and roof.

A Homebuyer survey will look at the rest of the house too for things like damp and rot, and most probably just recommend further investigation of the cack and a CCTV drain survey - ie it wont tell you much initially, and you will end up paying more for other reports.

So, if you think the rest of the house is OK, then it may be better to instruct a partial survey just on this crack - and this should be done by a structural engineer rather than a building surveyor who would do a Homesurvey. What this will give is a comment on the cause and what you need to do to rectify it.

Nice house, interesting that the bathroom and kitchen are at opposite corners, generally they are kept near enough above each other for simplicity of plumbing.
Agreed with above, it is worth getting it checked just in case. Our house is riddled with cracks, but that's because there are no foundations and it's on clay so it just moves all the time. But yours looks newer so a professional should be able to come on site and look.

Robdl, good evening.

I am not convinced about the dreaded Subsidence, every and any crack is not Subsidence?

Questions?
1/. Is there any indication of cracking on the Gable? [If the property is suffering from Subsidence there needs to be a crack of some sort on the gable, that has formed as a direct result of any possible "Downward movement of the Foundations, on the front elevation wall???]

2/. Is there a purpose built "Expansion Joint" on the front elevation? [not easy to see from the image provided by vendor?] Reason for question is that modern thinking is that there should be a purpose built Expansion / Contraction joint at 6.m / 7.m. intervals, if no expansion joint on a wall that is facing the Sun there is a very high probability of thermal cracking.

3/. Any distortion of the paving slabs?

OK for my sins, I work as an Insurance Subsidence surveyor, have done for a shed load of time, On the evidence provided in here I am not convinced your intended purchase is suffering from Subsidence??

One small crack which [Importantly!!!] does not get to ground level?? ---think about it???--- If the property is subsiding? then the foundations are moving vertically down [The insurers description] But? the crack does not reach the ground??

As an aside, given the total "Fixation" especially in some parts of England on the potential for the as stated dreaded SUBSIDENCE!! i for one would be very wary of purchasing the property? why?? because exactly this issue that is --- all and any crack is the dreaded SUBSIDENCE!! ---even in a crack on an internal plasterboard wall??

Sorry about my rant, but?

Ken

I am not convinced about the dreaded Subsidence,

What kind of movement causes a stepped crack, wider at the top, and a cracked brick near the bottom where it has rotated, and near to a corner then?

And not all foundation movement is subsidence. You said it, not me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back