First time garden/gardener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house that has a garden - the garden is way overgrown and I need to tidy it. However, never having owned a garden before I dont know where to start. I'm not looking to be an expert gardener.. just want to keep it looking neat with minimal effort!

Any advice appreciated.. what tools do I need? + any tips on how to keep the weeds away? How often do I need to care for it? Can you do gardening when it's raining (I heard lawnmowers dont work in the rain?)

Please see vid to get an idea of what I need to tackle

Sponsored Links
Chances are that previous owners put a lot of work in, so for the first year, do a bit of trimming, but wait to see what comes up.

If you have an old lawn in there, cut it a few times with shears or a strimmer, and rake off the hay for your compost heap until it is short enough to mow.

Try not to kill the hedgehogs, newts, slow-worms and stag-beetles. They like cover and rot.

If you have hedges or bushes, you can mulch under them with grass-cuttings to suppress weeds. The worms will dig it in for you.

Thanks @JohnD So I need a strimmer, a rake and some shears to get started

The previous owner did have a nice garden (both sides).. but she passed away and was in care for the last 6 months of her life.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
AD1EB177-8149-46C6-A6C0-E30F01DC992A.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back