extending a garden tap to end of garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a garden tap (15mm copper pipe) just outside the back door and was wondering how to extend it to the other end of the garden. My situation is - all the plants that need regular watering and the greenhouse are around 30m away from my garden tap, on the other end of my garden. I could get a long hose and leave it attachéd to the tap by the house and then walk with it to the other end of the garden for watering jobs. However, if I had a tap at the other side of the garden then I could attach a hose to it, or fill the odd can or two, and saving having to tidy a long length of pipe every time.

How would I go about it?

Sponsored Links
Ensure that the existing supply pipework has a double-check valve and internal isolator fitted

Dig a trench about 450mm deep (to protect the pipework from freezing).

Buy a 50m length of 20mm MDPE pipe

Cut the current supply to the bib-tap and fit a 't' piece to give you supply to the new pipe & the existing bib-tap.

Connect MDPE to existing supply and run to new location.

Backfill trench

Fit new bib-tap in desired location and connect to MDPE

Or - buy a hosereel and carry on as you are doing!

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hose-reels/auto-rewind/40m-autoreel-2595.html

Thanks.

Firstly, I'm a DIY novice and not very technical, so excuse my ignorance :oops:

Currently, I have a tap that appears to be coming off a 15mm pipe that goes from the downstairs cloakroom room sink, via a washing machine and out through the wall. There's a copper tap screwed to the outside wall.

What's a double isolator valve, and do I need it just before the tap. Accessing it will mean having to pull out the washing machine and that's tricky. Not sure how I could get to it in a hurry, so may need to totally strip out the area. Can something similar not be fitted to the outside, just before the tap. Will it freeze?

Does the MDPE pipe need to be buried? I'll have to dig an awfully long trench amongst a lot of closely planted shrubs in heavy, clay soil. Could it be clipped to a the bottom of a fence gravel board very close to the ground?

I'm thinking all the problems would arise from freezing temperatures and seeing how the whole watering system (from outside tap to the new tap at the end of the garden) won't e used over the winter, couldn't I just switch it off after the washing machine? That would isolate the entire outside section and I could just drain it before winter.

Also, could I keep a tap where the existing one is and still have the new extended one at the other end of the garden? We do have some plants on the patio and I need to water them, without having to go to the new tap that's now at the end of the garden!

Thanks

The double check valve and isolator may already be fitted (as required by water regulations). If not they need to be fitted inside the house to protect them from freezing. The double check valve prevents water back-flowing into the mains supply.

MDPE is not rated for use above ground and should be buried - not least to protect it from freezing.

All exposed external pipework should be drained before winter to protect from freezing.

You can have as many taps outside as you want and wherever you want them.

To be honest, it's a lot easier just to have along hose!

Sponsored Links
said I was a novice didn't I? All sounds like a load of hassle and I'm tending towards your view of getting a decent long hose. Apparently, Tricoflex is the one to go for.

Are wider hoses better at delivering more water? If my tap is coming off a standard 15mm water pipe, then will it make a difference getting a 19mm (3/4"") or 25mm (1") hose? I always thought my 15mm tap would limit my choice to a 15mm (5/8") hose.

sorry to have to come back to this, but need a bit of advice (please, please!)

I am going to do what scbk suggested
I would say just get a half decent hose and lay it permanently along the fence or wherever is out of sight and out the way. Drain it in the winter.

The thing I am unsure about is the diameter of the pipe. I mentioned this before, but nobody addressed the specific point. I'm stumped over it and need help.

Are wider hoses better at delivering more water? If my tap is coming off a standard 15mm water pipe, then will it make a difference getting a 19mm (3/4"") or 25mm (1") hose? I always thought my 15mm tap would limit my choice to a 15mm (5/8") hose. What difference would it make? lower pressure? more water? really unsure

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Im no expert but i always thought the same size pipe or slightly smaller will give you a better if not constant pressure ...the bigger the pipe the more pressure you loose. For my 2p worth id say go with standard watering hose size about 15mm i think.

For a normal outside tap on a domestic property then a 15mm hose is all you'll need. A larger hose is obviously capable of supplying a larger volume of water BUT if most of your internal pipework in your house is 15mm then putting a blxxdy great hose on the end of it won't make much difference at all - it'll just piddle out the end at exactly the same rate as a 15mm hose would. And it'll be more expensive, heavier to drag around and more difficult to wind onto a reel. So not much to gain!

One thing to consider is that if you have a piped tap at the end of the garden you'll be able to use it to fill watering cans during hosepipe bans, whereas with a hosepipe running to the end.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back