First time plastering after going back to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So basically, little ones bedroom had some black mold.. have dealt with the source but in the process have had to strip the walls back to brick.. the walls are really uneven.. and I have never plastered before.. but want to give it a go..

Could do with a shopping list and guide on what to do.. have been looking on here http://www.british-gypsum.com/product-range/plaster-products

From reading up in posts, I think:
Make sure the walls are clear from loose bits etc..
PVA the walls - 5 parts PVA 1 part water? (not sure what PVA would be best)
Whack up a pre plaster layer.. not sure what.. something that will make it all level..
Then plaster.. two coats of multi purpose..

What timescales do I need in between layers etc?

Sorry for lots of questions, but this is worth serious brownie points with the wife if I can pull it off.. and want to add plastering to my list of "tried it and kind of won"

Thanks

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
I would strip all outside walls back and depending on the insulation in the walls, buy some insulation bonded to plaster board (20-50mm) e.g. Celotex PL4050 or 4025 Insulation Plasterboard, and dry line it using frame fixers in to brick. Then just tape and skim the joints. net result is the insulation should mean the room is a lot warmer and less likey to suffere in the future.

If you don't opt for dry lining with insulated plaster board. Which is what I opted for in my bedrooms.
I would get as much loose stuff off as practical. Re point if required. Then coat with a product like febond blue grit. You need to leave that to dry for a minimum of 24hrs. If your looking at no more than an inch you could use bonding to make good the wall leave till firm then 2 coat multi plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back