First time tiler. Quite a big job, could use a bit of advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to be redoing my bathroom (3.4m x 4.2m) over the next few months but as it is my first time tiling, I have a few questions I was hoping you could give me advice on before I go and spend all my money on the tiles and tools.

I have picked out the tiles I would like to use (Monte floor tiles, and Mosaic wall tiles) and need to buy a cutter. I was looking at this diamond wheel cutter, but from browsing around various forums, it seems to be advisable to stay away from the bottom end diamond cutters. Should I splash out a little more for a better one or would this be fine for a one time use on both those types of tiles?

Can you point me in the direction of any other tools that would help to get the best final result? I don't mind paying a little extra for a better result but I don't want to pay too much.

Also, does anyone have any experience buying from Topps' online store? How fast is their delivery/returns etc?

Thanks in advance and if you need anymore info please let me know.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Both tiles are ceramic so easy peasy to cut. Get yourself a decent Rubi machine. If you are going to do more tiling in the future get the longest you can afford. A TS30 would be OK for the job in hand as the tiles are smallish, but this machine would restrict you in the future as tiles are getting bigger and bigger. I have had my baby Rubi for 20 years and every now and then i strip it down, give it a clean and it has never failed me. The diamond cutter you have shown is probably not that hot, very cheap. Get yourself a cheap angle grinder (you can get them for around £25) and a decent wheel, i would recommend a Marcrist CK850. Superb all round wheel, good for most materials. don't waste your money on those £5 jobies you see at boot sales and the like. Also get some decent nippers, again, not the cheap ones as the edge's chip easily on these. You will know about trowels i guess. Also a squeegee, get yourself a Marshaltown, softer and easier to use than most others and only about a fiver dearer. Never used Topps online so not sure. Hope that helps.

The Rubi tile cutters are great. I've had mine for about 5 years and used it regularly with no problems.

You can even get a pink one to keep the wife happy!

are you planning on doing more tiling in the future?

im asking because the extra that people are (quite rightly) directing you to are on the very expensive price for 1 or 2 jobs.

Sponsored Links
If you are just planning to do a few tiling jobs then a cheapish (but not the cheapest) score and snap type cutter will be fine. No need to go to the expense of a Rubi at all.
As tilerman says (and as I've been recommending for years), a decent marcrist blade in an angle grinder is superb - very versatile (ha ha..... versaTILE..geddit?)

If you are just planning to do a few tiling jobs then a cheapish (but not the cheapest) score and snap type cutter will be fine. No need to go to the expense of a Rubi at all.
As tilerman says (and as I've been recommending for years), a decent marcrist blade in an angle grinder is superb - very versatile (ha ha..... versaTILE..geddit?)

were you drinking last night GC? :rolleyes:

:oops: Maybe...

Just looked at those wall tiles (didn't bother last night), you may struggle with a score and snap type cutter if the surface of the tile isn't flat. I can't tell whether the tile is divided by grooves or whether it's just an effect.
Score and snap will be fine on the floor tiles though.

col2004, thanks for that link - I didn't know rubi did a cheap range, they look ok and I like the fact that they have a moveable breaker. That's one of the drawbacks with the TS range - you struggle if you need to cut tiles when laying in a diamond pattern.

as recommended go for a Rubi. star plus for about £50 a 115mm grinder with a marcrist diamond blade.
i would give the machine a miss in your link..happy tiling :LOL:

as recommended go for a Rubi. star plus for about £50 a 115mm grinder with a marcrist diamond blade.

Cheers east. I can't seem to find the star plus anywhere. I found this Rubi cutter for around the same price, is this upto it?

Cheers east. I can't seem to find the star plus anywhere. I found this Rubi cutter for around the same price, is this upto it?

any rubi cutters are up to the job they claim to, you get a 3 yeard guarantee on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back