Tile saw - large format tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've minimal tiling experience... and the maximum size of tile I've used previously is 4" square two decades ago.

I intend to tile a bathroom... and I intend to tile it with large format porcelain tiles... 90cm x 45cm. I've been thinking through my tile layouts - and think I can do the entire job with no complicated cuts. I will need to do neat straight cuts for the entire length and width of the tile. The tiles are heavy - but have exactly the look I want.

While I accept it might be possible to use a cheap score and snap tile-cutter... I have very low confidence that I could do a good job with one of those. The tiles are expensive and I want the best result possible (given my lack of experience/skill). I feel that a wet tile cutter is probably the right tool for me to do the cuts.

I've watched YouTube - and this has mostly improved my level of confidence to tackle the job. One problem I have, however, is selecting an appropriate tile-saw. On Youtube I see huge industrial scale tile-saws and demonstrations saying that 24" tiles are 'huge'... while mine are 36". These very big tile-saws have a top-down blade action and big sliding trays (on bearings?) which make it look as if it would be easy to make my cuts using one of them. When I look for tile-saws to buy... however... I see mostly small wet tile saws that look as if they'd be great for, say, 6" tiles - but might easily not work at all on 36" tiles. I note that their blades are fixed bottom-up affairs and there's no sled as such. While a small wet tile saw is easily in budget... the big wet tile saws seem to cost way over £1000. My project will involve about 30 cuts and I can only imagine doing (at most) 2 similar scale jobs in the next decade. This makes it difficult for me to justify paying >£1000 to buy a big wet tile saw... even if I were to sell it when I'm finished.

My options:

1. I could buy one of the many small wet tile saws (priced ~£50 to ~£100) and build a table around it from plywood. Perhaps I could use thin strips of wood to help the tile slide across the ply... I could fix wooden guides with clamps. It would look Heath-Robinson - but, I think, it would get the job done with the precision cut of a wet saw.
2. I could buy cutting disks and try to dry hand-cut using an angle grinder. ( I anticipate disaster... I don't expect I'd be accurate enough this way.)
3. I could hire a huge tile saw. The down-side with this is that 24-hour hire seems to cost ~£150+... and, owing to other commitments, I'd need to keep it for a long time to ensure I get the job finished... This makes renting a tile-saw look an expensive option (compared to buying one and selling it when I've finished.)
4. I could buy a big tile saw... This one looks big enough... it is expensive for the level of use I envision... and... should I be concerned that tile-saws of this size, for places other than B&Q, seem to be 4 or 5 times as expensive?

Any suggestions. I'm wavering towards building my own sled-system for a cheap wet tile saw. How bonkers is this as plan?

Sponsored Links
What's it cost for a weeks hire for tile cutter?
Day hire is expensive. Probably not much more for the week and get on with it

I just looked and £123 a day or £175 for a week

What's it cost for a weeks hire for tile cutter?
Day hire is expensive. Probably not much more for the week and get on with it

I just looked and £123 a day or £175 for a week

Around me the prices seem higher... but, even at £123 a day or £175 for a week... this'd still mean £700 hire fees for a month... or £615 for 5 Sundays. If DIY could be top of my priority list, £175 for a week is the cost-effective bargain. Having to fit DIY around other priorities mean renting tools is a massive pain in the arse... it's very hard for me to plan when I'll be available to use them... and why I have a strong preference to buy rather than rent. If I were doing this as my job - and it could be the no.1 priority for my attention... hiring the best tool would be the 'no brainer' obvious solution. As I need to do this in my 'spare' time - renting doesn't work very well for me.

More searching finds a better price than B&Q... I can find new at £575... and I can find the exact same being offered second hand at £325 "after one job" on ebay. If I did similar, that would mean a net cost of ~£250 - which compares very favourably against renting... and eliminates all time pressures.

However... Is a makeshift platform around a ~£50 wet-saw likely to fail to get the job done? (By 'done' - I mean facilitate about 30m of accurate neat straight cuts.)

Last edited:
Buy a good second hand tile snapper and if there's any L cuts use a small cheap wet cutter.
Sell both once you've finished.

Sponsored Links
Buy a good second hand tile snapper...

I can imagine a pro being able to get good results with a snapper (on 900mm porcelain tiles) but I don't think I could. I think I'd get jagged edges and corners snapping in the wrong places.

I can imagine a pro being able to get good results with a snapper (on 900mm porcelain tiles) but I don't think I could. I think I'd get jagged edges and corners snapping in the wrong places.
Are they porcelain or ceramic?
Snapping tiles is not rocket science.
And for a good job, all cuts would be in corners, ceiling or covered by trims.
Cuts with wet saw will be worse than the snaps.

Hi Johnny,

The tiles are porcelain. I'm intending to hide as many edges as possible - but, to do that, I still need to be accurate.

Ironically, if accuracy required rocket-science, I'd probably have the skill for that. I can imagine being able to accurately snap smaller tiles... but I don't imagine myself being able to do do dead-straight 90cm snaps.

Hi Johnny,

The tiles are porcelain. I'm intending to hide as many edges as possible - but, to do that, I still need to be accurate.

Ironically, if accuracy required rocket-science, I'd probably have the skill for that. I can imagine being able to accurately snap smaller tiles... but I don't imagine myself being able to do do dead-straight 90cm snaps.
Just try, it usually just needs a bit of confidence when scoring and snapping.
At 900mm probably you would use your hands to snap it from the middle rather than the cutter lever.
Said that, I have used sigma cutters and they make the job fool proof.
Have a look at some videos where they use the Sigma.

I've found this video - and an RRP of £514.99 for the cheapest Sigma that can tackle a 90cm cut.

If I were intending to install tiles as a job - a tile snapper like this looks like essential equipment. For me, for my job (I expect to need one L-shaped cut) it won't be sufficient as the only tool I need. Another disadvantage I see with the snapper is that the demonstrations all involve a single cut somewhere near the mid-point of the tile - where I imagine a snapper being most effective. I anticipate needing to make cuts much closer to the edge of the tile... and (because I expect to make mistakes) I can envision wanting to take a sliver (say less than 5mm) off the edge of a tile. I expect a wet tile saw to make it relatively easy to make precise cuts near the edge of tiles.

OK - perhaps buying the £50 fixed-blade bottom-up saw and making a table, into which it sits, might not be the best plan. I can get a 920mm wet-cut bridge saw from various online suppliers for £410. This brand/model doesn't look the most sturdy (the range of opinion in its reviews seems inconclusive, to me... has anyone here used "T-Mech" products?) If I'm wet-cutting, I don't expect to be as dependent upon the rigidity of the tool as if I were snapping - so, maybe, it'd be suitable. After I've tackled all my tiling jobs (in a few years, probably) I expect I could get half the money back (assuming it still works and I've kept it in reasonable condition)... making it seem fair value... if it'd work properly.

I've found this video - and an RRP of £514.99 for the cheapest Sigma that can tackle a 90cm cut.

If I were intending to install tiles as a job - a tile snapper like this looks like essential equipment. For me, for my job (I expect to need one L-shaped cut) it won't be sufficient as the only tool I need. Another disadvantage I see with the snapper is that the demonstrations all involve a single cut somewhere near the mid-point of the tile - where I imagine a snapper being most effective. I anticipate needing to make cuts much closer to the edge of the tile... and (because I expect to make mistakes) I can envision wanting to take a sliver (say less than 5mm) off the edge of a tile. I expect a wet tile saw to make it relatively easy to make precise cuts near the edge of tiles.

OK - perhaps buying the £50 fixed-blade bottom-up saw and making a table, into which it sits, might not be the best plan. I can get a 920mm wet-cut bridge saw from various online suppliers for £410. This brand/model doesn't look the most sturdy (the range of opinion in its reviews seems inconclusive, to me... has anyone here used "T-Mech" products?) If I'm wet-cutting, I don't expect to be as dependent upon the rigidity of the tool as if I were snapping - so, maybe, it'd be suitable. After I've tackled all my tiling jobs (in a few years, probably) I expect I could get half the money back (assuming it still works and I've kept it in reasonable condition)... making it seem fair value... if it'd work properly.
A sigma will cut 5mm off a tile with no problems.
Check online videos.

Recently did my bathroom (600x600) and patio (750x750) in 10mm porcelain. I bought a cheapish (Vitrex) 900 cutter which was fine with the 600's apart from a slight curve at the end of the snap (the other day I saw a tip on here - slot that end with your cheapy little wet cutter before snapping the tile, I haven't tried it but sounds like a good idea. When it came to the 750s the Vitrex wasn't happy and just didn't seem keen on snapping them - I think I probably lacked confidence. In the end I used my 9" grinder with a turbo diamond blade. As Johnny says, there isn't normally need to have many exposed cuts just possibly a few round a window if the tiles don't space right and the cheap wet cutter should manage those with care.

A sigma will cut 5mm off a tile with no problems.
Check online videos.

Hmmm... What I described as 'slivers' I anticipate needing to cut (shave) off a tile would all be thinner than 5mm - perhaps down to 1-2 mm.

The video first demonstrates cutting off a strip I visually estimate to be about 20mm wide. Then, this strip is split to provide two strips -each about 10mm wide. The video title admits that this is a 'challenge' - i.e. something that requires skill... and, to me, the second split looks fairly tricky and error prone... despite having the advantage that the second 'snap' divides the material in half - which is bound to be easier than an asymmetric split (e.g 440mm left; 10mm right). I also note that we don't see how many failed attempts were not uploaded to YouTube... and I expect there were several as it appears to be a promotional video.

I don't doubt that professionals can make impressively precise cuts using tile snappers... but I still don't believe I could use a tile-snapper to shave less than 5mm off the edge of a tile.

Recently did my bathroom (600x600) and patio (750x750) in 10mm porcelain. I bought a cheapish (Vitrex) 900 cutter which was fine with the 600's apart from a slight curve at the end of the snap (the other day I saw a tip on here - slot that end with your cheapy little wet cutter before snapping the tile, I haven't tried it but sounds like a good idea. When it came to the 750s the Vitrex wasn't happy and just didn't seem keen on snapping them - I think I probably lacked confidence. In the end I used my 9" grinder with a turbo diamond blade. As Johnny says, there isn't normally need to have many exposed cuts just possibly a few round a window if the tiles don't space right and the cheap wet cutter should manage those with care.

My tiles are midway between the area of yours... but mine are longer, being in 2:1 ratio.

I've watched a non-pro use a tile snapper successfully on smaller ~250mm tiles. With my big (individually expensive, remarkably heavy) tiles... I don't have confidence I'd do a good job with snapping.

I'm interested that you have one of the 'small cheap wet' saws... but that you didn't use it do cut lengths of large tiles - preferring to use your angle grinder. While I've seen videos of people getting great results on long cuts using an angle grinder... I suspect they made a tricky task look easier than it actually is. Is the reason that, in order to support the tile (both before and after cutting) you'd need a very large extension to the wet-saw table? For my 900mm tiles, I guess I'd need to construct a 1.8m square table... and, maybe, that's just too cumbersome?

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had experience using the large, cheaper-than-industrial-scale, bridge saws. From a common sense perspective, it is intuitive to want to leave the heavy tile in one place, and move a blade over it on rails. That saw table only needs to be >90cm long.. and width-wise, I could use any approach to support any overhang to the sides.

Last edited:
The price in London to hire a wet radial tile saw in London is about £175

Admittedly, that is 110v, so you would need to hire the transformer as well, and (possibly) factor in the cost of the blade depreciation.

I own a very nice (but old) wet bed Ruby cutter, and a much cheaper wet radial saw. The radial saw, whilst taking up much more space, is ergonomically nicer to work with, and you don't get splattered with water.

As a previously mentioned, an angle grinder with a decent continuous diamond blade will do the job, but will generate a lot of dust.

I got decent cuts from angle grinder and tile blade , clamp straight edge timber to guide and lay on sacrificial timber for support .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back