Fischer metal fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I've put a metal 35mm self drilling fixing in my drywall to hang a shelf.. But it just kept spinning and never bit and left a hole The position is where it has to be so I can't really reposition it.. Any advice on getting it to stick so I can screw into it??

Sponsored Links
They usually spin when they hit an obstruction preventing full insertion, or when over tightened, remove by unscrewing and try a nylon version [can be glued in] though most likely the hole is now too large to hold it, what are you installing.

Sponsored Links
The toggle fixing in particular is good for holes that have become oversize.....basically the 'wings' are pushed through the hole, where they flip out under spring pressure. Tightening the fixing causes the wings to lodge in the plasterboard underside.
You only get one chance with these though, its almost impossible to draw them back again!
John :)

Sound just the job!! I've actually put filler in the hole and lodged the fixing at the moment.. I was hoping it may harden and the fixing be good enough to screw into.. But I can't see that happening !!!

Me neither, but it'll help to secure the new fixing - plan B!
One small issue with the toggle fixing.....the centre screw doesn't want to poke into the solid wall behind the plasterboard - it can be cut to length if necessary so have a think and maybe a trial run before going for it!
Hope it goes well
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back