Advice on TV fixing gone loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Ive taken down a 24 inch tv and replacing with a 32 inch, so a bit heavier but the tv was fixed onto plasterboard with a deep void behind. It was fixed with

The screw holes are now loose so ive filled with loads of filler to try to fill up the hole and behind , will this be strong enough to put in Fischer wall plugs and new screws or what do you recommend to do
Thanks

Sponsored Links
no way off knowing really but as modern tv are very light probably ok
as you have at least 4 fixings as long as at least 2 preferably top or diagonal are holding fully you should be fine
how far back and what construction is whats behind ??

If it's plasterboard on to stud-work then find the studding and screw into that.

If it's dot n dab then use a longer drill and longer screws and drill through plasterboard and affix into the solid wall behind. You may need to use a larger piece of ply to spread the load across the board or, put spacers in, the depth of the gap.

Obvs watch out for any cables (mains or tv aerial) behind.

Hi All,

Ive taken down a 24 inch tv and replacing with a 32 inch, so a bit heavier but the tv was fixed onto plasterboard with a deep void behind. It was fixed with

The screw holes are now loose so ive filled with loads of filler to try to fill up the hole and behind , will this be strong enough to put in Fischer wall plugs and new screws or what do you recommend to do
Thanks
The old loose holes are of no use , usually lots of fixing points for tv bracket , use same fixings in new locations.

Sponsored Links
i realize now i forgot about tvs on swing arms which will need far greater support but any tv hung within say 50mm off the wall where 90% off the force is down is what i was thinking above

If your going into a stud wall but can't find a stud you can use Hollow Wall Anchors...

Screwfix ref 58947

If its Dot and Dab onto Celcon block or similar use a Product called Corefix 100 or 120 they are designed to bridge the void in dot and dab whilst providing a very strong fixing.

The current fixing you have is nick named a Curly Wurly, they are good for hanging picture frames, but that's about it.

Thanks All
I have bought some Gripit wall plugs ,

GRIPIT PLASTERBOARD FIXINGS 20MM X 205MM 25 PACK (6621P) Screwfix

I can get at least 2 in the wall and possibly 2 Fischer 6mm wall plugs and screws so hopefully it will be ok .

As the wall already has a number of filled holes, you could always cut a small square of plasterboard out, slide some timber laths through it and into the void, then screw to secure them.
Repeat with another lath.

Mark where the laths are (behind the plasterboard), then fill and repair the surface, and repaint.

Fix TV bracket, using woodscrews that are long enough to go through the plasterboard and into the laths.

Thanks all, it’s on the wall at the moment using the gripit fixings but any further issues I will need to cut out plasterboard and prefix using Brigadier’s method

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back