Fish Odour-new shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had two bathrooms completely renovated and have encountered a problem in the en-suite as there is a terrible fish-like odour coming from the shower enclosure, which then permeates the whole room. This smell is around permanently.

We installed a low-lying shower tray with a fast flow waste and the shower is a mixer shower.

We also played around with the venting system in the main bathroom, which we believe is connected to the en-suite vent system. However, there is no odour coming from the sink in the en-suite or from anything in the main bathroom.

Does anyone have any advice?

Lorraine

Sponsored Links
Sounds like fresh Silicone sealant which when first applied will have a very strong odour, this should clear after a while keep the room ventilated ;)

smell the trap in the shower cubicle.
is their any water sitting in the bottom of it ?

could be an electrical issue,loose connections in new plastic switch plates etc tend to give off a fishy smell when they arc.

Sponsored Links
Yes, is it an electric shower? Bad connections produce heat. This heat can transmit to nearby plastic, which can give off a fishy smell.

Check inside the electric shower, and any electrics in the area for scorching.

If you have a pull cord shower switch nearby, check inside this too.

Try using a more powerfull soap , not just your pound stretcher stuff, it's OK tho, a lot of women have that smell. Make sure you do a brazilian, aswell rather than having a jungle,it helps :LOL:

Try using a more powerfull soap , not just your pound stretcher stuff, it's OK tho, a lot of women have that smell. Make sure you do a brazilian, aswell rather than having a jungle,it helps :LOL:

PMSL :LOL: :LOL:
Just trying to help, heygine is very important, PVM. :rolleyes: ;)

Was that an offer to go round and do the Brazzilian for them :LOL:

I have this dreadfull vision in my head of David Bellamys head appearing with her in the shower and him saying "here we are in the jungle" .............

...and then David Attenborough dashes out...chased by a forkin big gorilla. :LOL:

Hi,
I have recently had two bathrooms completely renovated and have encountered a problem in the en-suite as there is a terrible fish-like odour coming from the shower enclosure, which then permeates the whole room. This smell is around permanently.
Did you pay the bill to the builder in full or try to negotiate them down? :)

my bet would be fresh/recent silicone. Some of that does stink like fish. As said it will die down.

My bets a bit fish left under the floorboards by disgruntled builder!

Do let us know what it was dear, so we can advise any fishy smell sufferers in the future. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back