Fish tank on 1st Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice...

I've recently moved into a new flat that was built in 2005. I have a 240ish Litre fish tank on a stand which measures 40inx18in. The total weight of the entire thing would be around 300kg.

Now my floor is comprised of multiple layers (i've attached a picture). As you can see it has a layer of Chipboard, Plaster, sound dampening and then a layer of Plywood on top of the joists. This would spread the weight out.

I've had a few builders round doing odd jobs around the house and all have said that the floor would be fine, however been told to ask on here for some opinions?

kind regards

Attachments

• 2018-08-02 14.41.22.jpg
    2018-08-02 14.41.22.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
Think of it like this , if three people each weighing around 16 stone were to hug each other in the middle of your room would they fall thru the floor?

Think of it like this , if three people each weighing around 16 stone were to hug each other in the middle of your room would they fall thru the floor?

True, however if those 3 people stood there for a period of time, could the floor take the stress?

I’m pretty sure that “heavy aquarium with group of people stood around it looking at the fish” is exactly the sort of thing that the building regs authoers would have considered when determining the minimum floor strengths.

Sponsored Links
True, however if those 3 people stood there for a period of time, could the floor take the stress?

What if they jumped up and down or performed some athletic dancing and added dynamic loading to the stresses on the floor structure.

They could stand there till the floor rotted thru or they died, whichever came first.
You could invite 50 people for a party , the floor will still hold .

Ok, going by the replies I'm assuming i have nothing to worry about? haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back