fishtank cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this belongs here, but here goes.

I have recently purchased an aquarium, which when full holds 90 litres of water (90kg plus about 10kg of glass and 12kg of cabinet).

The problem is, even though I have levelled the cabinet (it has adjustable feet), it is still very unstable. The reason is that the carpet has thick underlay.

I need to stabilise the stand, possibly by fixing to the wall. But I need to do this before its full of water - so the fixing has to have vertical movement, without having horizontal movement - to stop the tank swaying away from the wall. I'd also need to do periodic quarter water changes, so there'd be movement then too.

I thought about standing the cabinet on one large sheet of thick plywood or mdf, to minimise any give in the carpet. But this looks rough in my opinion, and you'd be able to see the levelling rods on the feet.

Are there any products on the market to allow movement as above? Or any other clever ideas?

I did think about using a bit of that webbed seatbelt-type material that IKEA supply a bit of with their tall furniture. But this wouldnt eliminate the horizontal movement unless it was very tight, but then it would stop vertical movement too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back