fishy business

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a fishy smell coming from the consumer unit. some extra sockets were added about a year ago to a sub main which fed the kitchen. The cooker was changed to an electric range. is it likely that the problem can be fixed by upping the fuse rating at the main board? And would the best way of checking the load from the sub main be to do a clamp test?

Sponsored Links
The fishy smell is over heated plastic being badly damaged by heat.

That means something has been overheating and that is danagerous.

You need to have the CU examined to find where and why the over heating occurred, what damage has been done and whay will have to tbe replaced.

Changing the fuse to a larger size will increase the already significant risk of more overheating and possible fire in the CU.

. is it likely that the problem can be fixed by upping the fuse rating at the main board?

No - under no circumstances must you increase the rating of a protective device especially as you might have a possible problem.Circuits are usually protected by the largest possible protective device possible for the circuit parameters anyway.
Unless you are competant to remove CU covers with respect to isolation and test procedures and know what results to expect then I suggest you seek the services of a competant electrican.
A loose connection might be the cause but the damage might have gone beyond any repair which again will require competant knowledge.

Sponsored Links
so if the new load is too much for the existing circuit then do you think that uprating the cable supplying the sub main could solve the problem?

so if the new load is too much for the existing circuit then do you think that uprating the cable supplying the sub main could solve the problem?

Up rating the cable will not do anything to reduce the overload or defective joint / component in the CU that has caused the overheating that did and may still be damaging the CU .

In a perfect world the fuse would blow if there was an overload
wouldn't it? That is what im thinking as more was added to the
circuit.

If the cable and fuse holder etc are starting to
smell then would you say that its more likely to be a loose
connection as it enters the Cu rather than being overloaded?

Basically,a sub main was added straight from an existing
45 A BS3036 type fuse in the main CU which runs the kitchen ring and cooker.
Run on 10mm T&E

circuit.

We're not in a perfect world and a 45A 3036 fuse will take 100A for 10,000 secs ~3hours. According to BS7671.

You need to ascertain the reason for the smell.

Loose connection is more likely the cause unless you are cooking the fuse.

I believe some of the older CUs had a limit of 30A per circuit.

To be frank your logic so far on determining the cause of the smell and how to deal with I strongly advise you to get an electrician in, before you need the fire brigade.

yea well obviously i am getting it checked but just wanted
some thoughts on it. If the cable was undersized,
would that cause the smell? I was told that it is 10mm
but could be wrong.

circuit.

Not nessaily.

If the cable and fuse holder etc are starting to
smell then would you say that its more likely to be a loose
connection as it enters the Cu rather than being overloaded?

It could be a bit of both, i.e. the connection was loose & is all so overloaded. The fishy smell is the plastic melting/burning.

Basically,a sub main was added straight from an existing
45 A BS3036 type fuse in the main CU which runs the kitchen ring and cooker.
Run on 10mm T&E

10mm T&E on a 45 amp fuse running the kitchen sockets & the electric range, sounds like the cable will be overloaded at times.

As the electric range cooker which I have at home, is on a 10mm cable & a 45amp MCB, just for the range cooker only.

The cooker should be on it's own circuit, also as said before, some of the older CUs had a limit of 30A per circuit.

Also as said before get a electricain in to check the setup out, soon & not later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back