Fitted bathroom, leaked into neighbours flat!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two things,

My bathroom has made the downstairs flat ceiling damp, few shower accidents.... Not sure how bad it is but I think their little ensuite will possibly need the ceiling re dryling...

1. Can I claim off my insurers for their damage?
2. Typically how much does it cost to dry line a 1x2m ceiling?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I'm sure your insurance policy would cover accidental damage to your neighbours property. You might have an excess to pay though, so make enquiries with your insurance company, plus get a couple quotes from firms locally for repairing the damage, because it might be cheaper in the long run, for you to pay for the repair yourself, rather than you paying a dearer excess payment to the insurance company. Worth checking it out.

Roughcaster.

1. Can I claim off my insurers for their damage?
why not ask your insurance company? (but be prepared for your premium to go up next time)

2. Typically how much does it cost to dry line a 1x2m ceiling?
depends whats involved. (electrican may be needed to dissconect what ever is on ceiling and reinstate same)

Have been down to see the damage, it is a small area about the size of a dinner/side plate, as opposed to the whole ceiling. Whats the usual thing with this? Can the damaged area be cut-out and replaced or is the usual thing to cut out from wall to wall?

Sponsored Links
If the area of ceiling has nothing more than a water stain where the damp has been, then it can be sealed in with a stain blocker, or even painted over with "oil based" undercoat, which will do the same job, you can then re-paint the whole ceiling as per original.............. If on the other hand, the damp/wet area of ceiling has been left damaged in anyway, it can be cut out, extra noggins put in around the cut out area, and then put in a patch of new plasterboard, usually 12.5mm thick, but check. This would then be taped around the joints, sanded down when dry, and then you would paint the whole ceiling, again as per original. Not a big job overall.

Roughcaster.

As long as you can get someone to make a "Professional" finish to the job, then sort it out with your neighbours and go ahead and do it. BUT if it turns out to be a "Dogs D..K" them you are going to have a legal battle on your hands. It might be a small "patch" but not done right it will be a BIG eye sore..... Good Luck.... ;)

Roy C wrote,
As long as you can get someone to make a "Professional" finish to the job,

Absolutely!! if it's done properly you'll never know it's been repaired.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back