Water leak through ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a short water leak through my bathroom ceiling due to a burst pipe in the neighbour's flat above. The water drained through the openings for the halogen lights. The damage looks very minimal - a small hairline crack has appeared in the ceiling and there is no smell of damp.

The ceiling is coated in oil-based anti-fungal paint, but I would like to know how long it would typically take for the ceiling to dry out (I am leaving the heater on) before possibly repainting. At the moment there is no impression of a leak in the ceiling, so I am not sure if re-painting is even necessary.

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I would leave it and see chances are the oil based paint may well block any staining anyway.

I would leave it and see chances are the oil based paint may well block any staining anyway.

Thanks, footprints. Do you know roughly how long before the ceiling will dry out? I have just never had this type of thing happen before.

Is there anything I can do to speed up drying?

Sponsored Links
Afraid it's the old "How long is a piece of string?" question ;)

Depends on how much was left laying under the floor and how good the underfloor ventilation is, with luck most found it's way out of the lighting holes and they will help ventilation anyway. I would give it a couple of months to be sure before any redecorating, but that's just a best guess :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back