Fitted cabinets on exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I need some advice please. I am planning on having some alcove cabinets made to fit either side of an upstairs chimey breast. Something like this:

https://www.houzz.co.uk/photo/51805...rniture-traditional-living-room-manchester-uk

The cabinets would have a back panel and I thought this would then sit flush against the wall, if you see what I mean. But I am now wondering whether this could be a problem because the walls are exterior walls (the house has cavity walls) and whether there could be the potential for damp issues between the back of the cabinet and the wall. Or am I worrying about nothing?

I hope this makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Rear would be rebated so as not to touch wall, should not be any damp problem you don't already have.

Sponsored Links
The cabinets will be made of MDF.

Not a good idea. MDF is good for doors that hang vertically, but not structurally solid. If you lean an MDF door up against the wall, it can bow under it's own weight, but the backs could be MDF if necessary. If you're place doesn't have an damp issues, then the bookcases should be fine, and being up against a wall won't be an issue.

No, they'll just bow. Kitchen doors are made of MDF, but the carcases are made from chipboard for rigidity and strength, as are the shelves as well.

Hmm. I have seen quite a few similar things which are made of MDF, it seems quite common to use it? So are you sayying something like this should be made of chipboard or wood and not MDF? The carpenter who's hopefully doing the job seems to use MDF for this kind of thing.

Well I personally wouldn't use MDF, but if the chippy uses it, get him to show you some examples - in person. It doesn't route very well, and you need to do it in a well ventilated area. Even chipboard will sag if there's a heavy item on it, as will wood as well, need to determine the use of it, and then decide on the material.

Moisture resistant mdf paints well, its less fluffy. Ideally medite.

Avoid buying from builders merchant which stores sheet material in building with open sides. Our local merchant does that, I find the mdf has swollen slightly. I buy directly from a sheet supplier.

I know what TicTac is saying about mdf, but it is generally ok for cabinets etc, I would avoid using it for shelving though unless quite short lengths as it tends to sag and its memory conscious so wont spring back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back