Fitted new bath taps, and the water flow is very poor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently fitted out my bathroom, and the flow from the new bath taps (Monobloc) is far too slow... i'm fairly sure the new taps are the problem, the supply is via a 22mm pipe, and previously the flow has always been fine. The only thing I've changed apart from the taps is that I've used 2 flexible 22mm connectors from the existing pipework.

I was just wondering whether any one knows if the taps can be adjusted in anyway ? .... There is nothing mentioned in the instructions that were supplied with them. So I'm probably clutching at straws here.

Sponsored Links
Are your flexi hoses kinked/bent over restricting the flow :?: , is your isolating valve fully open :?:
If ok suspect your new tap washers or swarf inside the body of tap. :)

The Flexi hose is certainly by no means "dead straight"... However, they are also not "bent over" either.... throughout the entire length they remain circular and are not squashed anywhere. They probably look a bit like this: "~" , Well maybe not quite that bad !

Because of the position of the existing pipework it was impracticle to fit an isolating valve so I didn't bother on the bath taps.

Umm, guess I'll just have to turn the water off and check/clean inside the taps then....

As always, thanks for the reply.

Also check that the taps aren't meant for high pressure systems only (> x bar).

Sponsored Links
I'll bet a shilling that Eddie's got it - they'll be nice posh new expensive - and useless to you. Think of them as having prostate trouble and they'll be easier to put in the bin - or flog them to someone with a combi.

I'm being nasty I should have asked what water supply you have - tank in the loft? What make taps - ask the manufacturer about pressure. Remember you will only have about 2.5 - 3 m head per floor, which is about 0.25 - 0.3 bar.

Places like "sheds" shouldn't sell taps without a warning sheet. But then they sell gas fires without a care.

Umm, Thanks for the reply's...

Chris R - Yes the supply is from the CW Tank in the loft, and I guess it must be around 3m higher than the taps.

The taps were also supplied as part of a whole new bathroom suite, being honest I didn't know you could get different taps for different systems, and there was/is no mention of what system they are suitable for, either when I ordered it or recieved it (in the destructions)..

The reason for the questions is really that someone has told me there might be "packing" pieces in side the taps that I can remove to increase the flow :?: . However, my knowledge of taps is limited to the fact that you turn them and water comes out :oops: Although I do find it hard to believe that there are such things as adjustable taps with packing pieces !

I have seen check (non return) valves in monoblock taps - little plastic things which you should ditch immediately. They sit in the tap just inside where the flexies/pipes screw in. They're a cone against a seat, held by a spring, which almost stop all flow!

Seen flow restrictors in a shower mixer too. Better out than in, unless you have multiple showers etc..

Ok, I'm sure there was nothing like that in the tap ens when I fitted the flexis - however I'll take a look over the weekend.

Again, many thanks to all

If it is the taps, then all is not lost, you can fit / have fitted a "shower" pump to make the flow acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back