Fitted Wardrobe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have read many posts on fitted wardrobes on this forum and have a general idea what to do and how, but i still have some questions which I don't think been covered here unless I missed them.

Hoping to get some advice / clarification from you guys.

Wardrobe will go on the wall with chimney breast, so I plan to have hangers in both alcoves (1250mm and 900mm) shallow shelves on the chimney breast (1250mm)

There is wall in the left side and will be end panel on the right, total length 3400mm
Height is 2550mm, maximum height doors are 2480, so I am planning to have colour matching mdf liners to even floor under the bottom track and color matching panel on top to cover the gap (or alternatively cover with MDF and pain with emulsion to match wall colour).

I also want to fit strike plate on the left to compensate unevenness of the wall.

For interior I wanted to fit colour matching 18mm MFC end panels (620mm deep)on a side of each alcove and shelving and drawers from ikea pax range.

- Do I need to build a plinth inside or it is acceptable to have carpeted floor inside the wardrobe?
- will MFC hold hangers rail and shelves?
- as I am going to have a 50mm gap between the door and the ceiling, I was planning to attach stud timber to ceiling and top rail to a timber and cover it with colour matching MFC plate or 12mm MDF and paint to match wall colour

Appreciate expert advice and suggestions/corrections to the above

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
thanks foxhole, I read loads of your posts related to fitted wardrobe, saw the pics too - yours looks very professional.

MDF is kind of plan B option as I will have to finish it or order cut to size laminated MDF which will be expensive.
Is 18mm MFC an option (laminated chipboard) for the sides? The reason I am asking is that I can get matching MFC from door supplier ....

Sponsored Links
Chipboard tends to be finished poorly and quite weak and can be difficult to obtain a neat finish. Emulsion on bare mdf is an easier option as you can match existing walls .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back