Fitter problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to let all your readers know about a Gas Fitter I, a 70 year old, had out on Tues to fix a gas leak. The fitters was registered with gas safe and said he would charge us 55 ph+VAT+ parts.

The job was a 2-3 hour job, for a competent fitter. He came 9am, and after 2 hours he had done 10 mins work, when tackled about this by a male relative, he said he would be all day, and was quite stroppy !

He stayed until 5pm, and asked for 500 pounds, and said that if he had to come back he would charge us another 50pounds as he lives in Manchester.
He would not let us send him a cheque, and he had a debit card machine on him, so he could get money off people very easily.

My daughter came to my house, and told him he was milking the job, and after much arguments he took 300pounds, and wrote a sarcastic comment on the receipt. Over the last few days, we have now noticed a lot of items that were in the area he was working are know missing.

This man is despicable, and I want to tell everyone about him to stop him doing this to another pensioner or anyone at all.

He is not a local man, he is from Manchester.

What action should I take :?:

Sponsored Links
My advice is that no one who could be considered as in any way vulnerable should deal with anyone unknown like this. Get someone younger to be there. Son daughter, social services etc.

I will not even go to people over pension age if I have any doubts over their capability to deal with their own affairs. Of course many old people are their own worse enemies because they THINK that they are capable when in reality they are not.

I did a job for a 93 y.o. a few months ago but that was on the recommendation of her neighbour. But she goes out playing bridge three times a week and supported the "D" day landings in 1944.

Even now you have many opportunities to help yourself. Report him to the Police for theft. Cancel the credit card transaction with the card company saying that you only paid under duress. Take out a court summons for overcharging.

Sponsored Links
Do you have anything in writing?
If you genuinely feel your were forced into paying more than agreed, you should talk to the police.

You only have to look at the tone of his website. It shouts rip-off merchant.

They don't just do tarmac these days. ;)

[/quote]He is not a local man, he is from Manchester[/quote]

Why did you not get a local guy?

If items were stolen, then phone police.

The website shown above, is that actually the company, or DoItAll 's guesswork. I seem to remember that website being flagged before, followed by comments about the mole grip tecnique, and the fact that the guy in the photo does not resmble the guys ID card photo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back