fittin power out side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok folks i want to put electric outside i have power on a conservatory wall so was thinkin i could just take the box off an drill outside thru the back of it an connect an waterproof box outside or do i need to do it differently

Sponsored Links
Hello Scooby.

Whether on not you can, or cannot do this is really down to the circuit you intend to 'spur' off of.

Is the circuit RCD protected ?
Is the socket in your conservatory on a ring main, a 'spur' or part of a radial circuit ?
What 'load' are you expecting to need feeding ? ( just mowers etc ? Or maybe a welding set ! :LOL: )
Let us know and I'm sure someone here will be able to advise you further.

Cheers

Ed.

If the 'power' is a socket or double socket on a ring main (two cables actually connected to the socket, and if the ring main is RCD protected, then you should be OK. If the socket is a spur from a ring main then you can't do this, and also not if there's no RCD, although in that case you should be ok with a weatherproof socket with built-in RCD protection.

You ought to use plastic conduit to take the cable through the cavity, and don't forget to drill slightly downhill from the inside. Take the conduit up into the bottom of the weatherproof socket, using proper conduit connectors. Follow all instructions of the outside socket manufacturer.

Edit: Darn, too slow!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back