Garden Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Can one of you experts out there explain to me what I would need (from a component view) in order to put in some power sockets (waterproof etc) to the garden with a view to adding some garden lighing and possible pond pumps in the future?

I have an attached garage to the house with sockets etc which are connected to the house main ring. So the garage does not have its own consumer unit or anything. Would it be as simple as adding a garage fuse unit with its main power coming from a socket or something and then connecting outside armoured cable to this unit and into the garden?

I am reasonably familial with electrics and do understand most things but have never put in an outside power supply before.

Help appreciated.

Regards

AH

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer

There is a 'trip' box (as I call them) on the main consumer unit for the house. In the garage, I intend to replace one of the double sockets with an rcd unit for using power tools etc (not that that is relevant here). Other than that, there are no other rcd units anywhere. For the one connected next to the main consumer unit in the house, I don't know if this is for all circuits or just for sockets. Is it advisable for garden power to have its own rcd?. It would not matter to me to add one. I don't with to cut corners in any way where electrics are concerned.

Regards

AH

your easiest option would be to to put an rcd weatherproof socket onto the existing ring (obviously socket going outside)

the best way would be to run a new swa cable from the consumers unit outside to a new weatherproof socket with rcd protection.

but it depends if you have any spare "ways" left on your existing consumers unit

get everything you want from tlc

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer

So basically, I'll have to wire the armoured cable directly from the consumer unit via one of the fuses? I've not done much via a consumer unit before and I guess by spare ways you mean spare fuses in the consumer unit? If there arn't any spare fuses, I guess adding a new fuse would be by adding a separate fuse box unit onto the existing consumer board?

Regards

AH

Hi Breezer

Thanks for your help.

I'll take your comments on board and seek out a good spark.

AH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back