Putting in power to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an existing outside power cable that is part of the main ring circuit in the house. I believe this is a spur off the main ring that was put in by the original builder (its a new build house). This has not been connected up to a socket, but merely exists as a cable housed in an external box that sits on the outside wall of the house (Media photos attached).

I could easily wire this up as an outdoor socket but what I would like to do is put some power in the garage which is 10m away from the house with my garden in between.
I intend to get an electrician to do most of the work (connecting up etc.) although I would do some of the grunt work such as digging the cable trench and putting the cable in and through the garage wall etc.
I would like to have a double power socket and power for lighting in the garage.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to use the existing cable connection on the outside of the house to run the extra cable to the garage.
2. What are the actual steps of the work needed to be done & materials to be purchased (so I can ask the electrician the right qu's).
3. Rough cost estimate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, if is as you say.
2. 2.5mm sq SWA cable. Marker tape. Metal clad double socket. Metal clad switched fused connection unit with 5 amp fuse. Some 2.5 twin and earth. Some 1.0 twin and earth. Fluorescent light fitting. Plastic conduit and fittings.

These could all be provided by your electrician of course.
3. Ask your electrician for an estimate.

Last edited:
I believe this is a spur off the main ring that was put in by the original builder (its a new build house).
Believe?

I could easily wire this up as an outdoor socket but what I would like to do is put some power in the garage which is 10m away from the house with my garden in between.
I intend to get an electrician to do most of the work (connecting up etc.) although I would do some of the grunt work such as digging the cable trench and putting the cable in and through the garage wall etc.
Ask the electrician all of the questions, then, as he will have to be the one to put his name to the installation certificate to say he was responsible for the design. And there are requirements for burying the cable which he has to determine and specify.

The chances of him being a frustrated navvy and not letting you do the grunt work are vanishingly small.

And have him supply the materials - he will be able to get them cheaper than you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info. So to clarify for my understanding :
Metal clad switched fused connection unit with 5 amp fuse. - connect to the existing spur wire already in place on outside of house and fix FCU to outside wall.

2.5mm sq SWA cable. - connect to above FCU and run underground to garage within the Plastic conduit.
Cover conduit with Marker tape.

Drill through garage wall & feed SWA cable into garage.

Connect SWA cable to Metal clad double socket in garage.
1.0 twin and earth for Fluorescent light fitting.

Is that correct ?
Why does FCU need to be Metal clad ?
Where is 2.5 twin and earth required ?

Ask your electrician all of those questions as he will have to be the one to put his name to the installation certificate to say he was responsible for the design. And there are requirements for burying the cable which he has to determine and specify.

The chances of him being a frustrated navvy and not letting you do the grunt work are vanishingly small.

And have him supply the materials - he will be able to get them cheaper than you.

Thanks for info. So to clarify for my understanding :
Metal clad switched fused connection unit with 5 amp fuse. - connect to the existing spur wire already in place on outside of house and fix FCU to outside wall.

2.5mm sq SWA cable. - connect to above FCU and run underground to garage within the Plastic conduit.
Cover conduit with Marker tape.

Drill through garage wall & feed SWA cable into garage.

Connect SWA cable to Metal clad double socket in garage.
1.0 twin and earth for Fluorescent light fitting.

Is that correct ?
Why does FCU need to be Metal clad ?
Where is 2.5 twin and earth required ?

No, completely wrong.

SWA from outside box to garage underground. It does not need conduit but should have marker tape. Terminate either in the double socket or switched FCU. Use 2.5 T and E to connect the other accessory to the same termination. From the output side of the FCU use 1.0mm T and E to connect to your light. This is where you use conduit to protect the T and E in the garage. Metal clad units are good practice in a garage but not essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back