Fitting 2 20 amp appliance switches help wanted

Sponsored Links
Do I need to take one of the twin core off the double socket and come back from the next socket (after the switches)?

I wanted to re do the wiring with some 10mm I bought a while ago but the electrician said itll be ok to use existing 6mm, I was concerned at first due to the 3-4k electric hob and 3k oven but who am i to argue.
It's fine. You can have up to 15kW on a usual cooker circuit - 30/32A 6mm².

I also have to do the same from an existing unused cooker switch!
You don't mean for fitting other appliances do you?

Sponsored Links
Do I need to take one of the twin core off the double socket and come back from the next socket (after the switches)?
No. The switch wouldn't work then, would it?

Perhaps you should be asking your electrician these things.

thanks. I should do but be taking the p

I would have left it to them, might as well learn a bit

Not sure you can violate guidance.
Given you've been talking grammar, do you really mean just me, or anyone (as in "...one can violate ....")? :)

Whatever, you are probably strictly correct that one cannot 'violate' guidelines, but, again, you know exactly what I mean!! As I said, most people seem to feel unhappy to 'go against' (i.e. ignore) the guidance that one should not feed two single sockets off an unfused spur from a ring final.

Kind Regards, John

I would spur off in 4mm and use 2.5mm from the switches to the individual sockets.

Regards,

DS

Not sure you can violate guidance.
Given you've been talking grammar, do you really mean just me, or anyone (as in "...one can violate ....")? :)
Yes, I meant 'one' or 'anyone'. I don't like using 'one'.

Thank you for pointing out my error. :)

Whatever, you are probably strictly correct that one cannot 'violate' guidelines, but, again, you know exactly what I mean!! As I said, most people seem to feel unhappy to 'go against' (i.e. ignore) the guidance that one should not feed two single sockets off an unfused spur from a ring final.
It is safe, though.

Yes, I meant 'one' or 'anyone'. I don't like using 'one'. Thank you for pointing out my error. :)
I think you may be making a point relevant to our discussion in the other thread. I don't particularly 'like' using the correct word, either, but I'm not sure that 'not liking' the correct grammar is really a good (or even an acceptable) reason for deliberately using incorrect, rather than correct, language, is it? ... but that is precisely what most of us do (usually without attracting any criticism) in informal/casual speaking and writing. However, if I'm writing 'formally', I have no choice but to use the correct version. I don't much like avoiding split infinitives, or trying to avoid ending sentences with prepositions, either - but, again, in 'formal' writing I have to try to stick to those rules - but I don't in informal/casual writing.
It is safe, though.
Yes - well, at least, no less 'safe' than having two or more spurs originating at very close points on a ring final - something that even the guidance of App 15 does not advise against.

Kind Regards, John

Not bad for first time.
Can't believe how much mess I made!

20160809_172759.jpg

Volts drip, you get that in bathrooms the worst case scenario is volts drip drop :LOL:

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back