fitting a 9.5kw shower and builing regs

W

wolvesmad1

hi i have just recently passed my city and guilds 2330 level 3 and 17 regs but what i dont understand is can i install the shower and circuits myself at my own house as long as i get i certified by someone with 2391 thanks

Sponsored Links
hi i have just recently passed my city and guilds 2330 level 3 and 17 regs but what i dont understand is can i install the shower and circuits myself at my own house as long as i get i certified by someone with 2391 thanks
No. If you are not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme you have to notify, with the design plans, to the Local Authority Building Control and pay their fees before you start.

If you know an electrician who is a member (of CPS) he could supervise you.

so ive just studied for 3 years for nothing then, as most (cps) dont recognise city and guilds and want me to do a nvq now. total rip off any ideas apart from part p?

I'm sure you did not study for 3-years just to work in your own house?

You need to notify the building control (assuming you are in england or wales) before you start. There will be a fee to pay, it might be reduced if you can show you are competant and qualified and will be producing the necessary test certificates.

The building regs do make provision for you to do your own electrical works - there is just a fee to pay.

Sponsored Links
so ive just studied for 3 years for nothing then,
No, Why did you study? You could get a job.
as most (cps) dont recognise city and guilds and want me to do a nvq now.
Not so. I don't know what you think the CPS is but the supervising bodies, with differing requirements as far as qualifications are concerned, assess your competence but you will need test equipment, insurance etc. plus some work for them to inspect.
So, without experience it would be difficult.
total rip off
What was?
any ideas apart from part p?
Part P is one part of the Building Regulations - the law.

no i have'nt spent 3 years just to do my own house.. but i dont see how me installing the shower and cables is dangerous as long as some one with a (cps) tests and inspects it before the circuit is energized .....

no i have'nt spent 3 years just to do my own house.. but i dont see how me installing the shower and cables is dangerous as long as some one with a (cps) tests and inspects it before the circuit is energized .....

It probably is not dangerous, phone your local building control, explain and see what their requirements are.

Bacause thet's the law.

Because that's what the Building Control will do but you have to pay.

If you want someone else to sign a certificate stating that he did the design, installation and inspection then he will have to do the work or supervise your work throughout your work.

That's the way it is.

and for your interest, i have done this for 3 years at night part time, i have a job and i have paid for every course im a 38 year old tryin to change my career as 5 years ago i had to retire from pro boxing cus of reacurring cuts so dont even think of being the idiot

and for your interest, i have done this for 3 years at night part time, i have a job and i have paid for every course im a 38 year old tryin to change my career as 5 years ago i had to retire from pro boxing cus of reacurring cuts so dont even think of being the idiot
I don't know to what the 'idiot' refers.

I have told you how the system works.
If you have previously been misled then I'm sorry but I do not know what you expect.

You can do your own work but you have to notify the LABC before you start and pay their fees.

You can join a Competent Person Scheme but it is expensive - tools, meters, insurance, different fees etc.

Even if you were legally allowed to do this one job; what then?

I'm sure most of the scheme providers will accept you with the 2330 level 3 and the 2382 17th edition regulations they may require that you complete the 2391 or whatever it's changing too within 12 months of registration.

It sound like you don't like the advice given and are now threating us with violence! Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back