Fitting a bannister to flat wooden floor in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm after some advice for fitting a banister is an attic bedroom. At the moment we have some stair coming up through a rectangular hole in the floor, I need to put a bannister around the too long sides and one end. The existing bannister was a thin 1x3 (approx) frame work. I have boarded the whole attic area with some 9mm ply to even out the floor and stop some squeaky floor boards. I would like to put some plain bannister up but don't know where to start with regards to fixing to the floor. Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You just fix the bottom rail to the floor - what is the problem?

You may need noggins between the joists if there is no fixing where the rail is to go

I need newel posts at either end on the rails do I not? I was under the impression that the bannister had to be strong for safety reasons. I have actually removed a section for floor board and found a joist on one side of the stairs and a fairly loose brick wall on the other side. I contacted a stair supplier and they suggested fixing the brick work and then bolting the that or removing one of the bricks and cementing the post in place.

Sponsored Links
Fix the brickwork with sand and cement mortar .Use half newels against the walls,at the other end use full newels half lap full newels and fix into side of joists through half lap with screw bolts and glue counter-bore for the heads. This not the full story but a good starting point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back