Fitting a Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm refitting my bathroom and want to add an extractor fan that turns on/off when the light goes on.

Q 1. Does this job need to be carried out by someone who is P Registered?

Q 2. I'm guessing that it would be but if it is or it isn't, is it a case of connecting the electrical cable from the light junction to the extractor fan?

This is the sort of extractor I was looking at fitting: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/xpelair-premier-dx200-1937-16390

Thanks all
toad

Sponsored Links
That looks like a nice posh fan.

You can simply run a cable from the light fitting to the fan. The only thing is, this will not give you an over-run and will not allow you to fully isolate the fan. In other words, the fan will only be on with the light. This may be what you want, but it doesn't provide any where near the right amount of ventilation normally required in a bathroom.

Building control, if they were involved, would probably require a timer fan. There is a timer version of your model in the link. To wire it up, you need to connect a 3 core + earth cable from your lighting JB, or switch, depending where the junction is, and run this via a 3-pole fan isolator to your timer fan.

You need to use a Part P electrician to avoid paying a notification fee, unless you're lucky enough to live in Scotland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back