Fitting a boiler before mains supply fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we bought a new house and we are not moving In till we complete the rein ovation work.

Next is boiler,
Electrics
Bathrooms,
In order.

Whoever because we are replacing a lead pipe we have to wait 6 weeks for Severn Trent to link new pipe.

Would you get a boiler installed before this point? Or do you need a mains supply before you test it? Not keen I. Liking boiler to a temporary to the lead pipe.

Thoughts? Should I just accept boiler will delay everything.

Sponsored Links
What type of boiler? Heat only, System, Combi, and if relevant what sort of cylinder?
How many bathrooms etc.

I can't see any reason not to install. Your plumber will I hope ensure you have sufficient dynamic water pressure to use your cylinder as it is intended.
I don't get the 37kw boiler?

Sponsored Links
The reason I'm changing mains pipe is because I'm getting 17lpm and 3 bar pressure.

I'm currently have a 25mm pipe being installed.

I was told a vented cylinder works on 17lpn. It should improve a lot I hope as I currently have a 15mm old lead pipe!

The inter gas pamper quotes a Sb 40 boiler and the valiant boiler man said a 37 boiler. I have a very large (9 meters side) semi detached house which has a loft conversion also.

So is it safe to install without water? How would I know it works until supply comes.

Sounds like a VERY seriously over powered boiler there.

And an owner and installer who have not made any attempt to calculate the heat loss of the house.

Most semis are about 10-12 kW.

Tony

37kw, Christ!

For reference I put an 18kw in my parents 4 bed detached with large extension on the side.

37kw sounds massively oversized.

As above, 37kW is big enough for a small mansion. I have a 4-bed semi with reasonably large rooms (the master bedroom is 4.5x4.5m) and relatively poor insulation, and do quite nicely with 14kW. Insulation will be upgraded in a few weeks time and I expect to be able to downrate the boiler to 12kW after that

You can have your boiler fitted now, but you'll need a mains supply before you can use it. No reason not to get it all connected up ready though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back