fitting a BT master socket to a junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

we've just moved in to a new place which has recently been renovated. As part of the renovation service it looks like the painters kindly ripped out the master socket and just left us with a bit of snipped cable and the old junction box.

BT seem to think it will take them 2 months to come out and fit an NTE5 but if we can we'd like to get a phone line and internet connection set up a little faster if possible! My flatmate's dad installed an unbranded NTE5 box, picked up from Amazon, and randomly connected the two wires coming out of the junction box to the A/B terminals on the NTE5.

I've got a couple of questions that I'd like to ask you, firstly does polarity matter with regards to the two wires? And if so, any idea which of the cables in the picture should be connected to which of the NTE5's A/B terminals? Secondly, if we don't wish to install any extensions and simply use the master socket for a phone/dsl modem is there anything else we need to do beyond connecting the A/B terminals and plugging the modem in? There seems to be a lot of other connections in the junction box but I'm hoping they're for extensions only.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored Links
Very simple - the Blue/White and White/Blue you see in the pic are your line, terminate these to the A/B terminals and your all done.

Theoretically, the White/Blue should go to A and the Blue/White to B, assuming they have already been connected correctly. It will work either way around though.....

cheers, we now have a dial tone so one step closer to having a net connection :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back