Fitting a Dimmable Transformer, WIRING help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to replace a dimmable transformer for my halogen lights.

I bought a Varilight Electronic Transformer from B&Q. (Its the correct rating for the amount of lights ive got).

My problem is, the new transformer has input wires (blue & brown) which will obviously get connected to the current light switch cable. But the other OUTPUT end of the transformer has 2 thinner white wires coming out of it.

When i look at the exisitng set up with the old transformer, there are currently brown & blue wires at the OUTPUT end coming out of the transformer and into a choc box and connected up to black & red wires for the lights. So do these 2 thin white wires on the new transformer get connected up to the black & red wires through the choc box?

many thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
If the black and red wires go to each side of your lamp yes.
The white wire will go positive and negative of the lamp, should work either way.

If the black and red wires go to each side of your lamp yes.
The white wire will go positive and negative of the lamp, should work either way.

thanks mate, should have said, the output cables coming out the old transformer are blue and brown. (Ive amended my post) and these go into a choc box and are connected up to black and brown wires.

All of the wires going into the halogens are white and thin and feel like a nylon material.

So is it ok to connect the 2 whites wires from the new transformer to the choch box into the black and brown wires?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
By what you have posted yes.
The nylon like sleeve is for heat resistance.

great.
finally, I presume it doesn't matter what white wire from output of transformer gets connected to either the brown or blue wire in the choc box? just want to make sure!

thanks again

No.

If you connect them the wrong way round, the current will flow backwards and you'll end up with a dark fitting, not a light fitting.

the current will flow backwards and you'll end up with a dark fitting, not a light fitting.

:LOL:

They go dark when the metal from the filament moves to coat the inside of the glass with tungsten tinting. Seldom happens when the lamp is operated normally but seems to happen quite often and quite rapidly when the lamp is dimmed. Most often the weakened filament breaks before the lamp goes totally dark.

well wired up the transformer and lights still not working!

Cant see anything else wrong. Its baffling. Checked switch / spur, everything tight. No melted wires. All bulbs look fine. Just want it to work!!

I'll try swapping round the white wires the other way and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back