fitting a door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to fit a door and frame to my new extension. i'm handy enough but have never done this before. does anyone know of an idiots guide site to doing it please?
thanks

Sponsored Links
i need to fit a door and frame to my new extension. i'm handy enough but have never done this before. does anyone know of an idiots guide site to doing it please?
thanks

Not a joiner, but the biggest single peice of advise I would offer is to make sure that the plasterboard is dried thoroughly before putting wood or MDF anywhere near it - then leave it a bit longer just to make sure. I have inspected a few claims with ill fitting doors and they are amost solely down to moisture ingress in the woodwork from the plasterboard causing distortion of the section.

good link but couldnt see if it mentioned to check to make sure the frame is not inwind?

Sponsored Links
As with any frame, casing or lining, fix the hinge side first, ensuring that it is upright and the head square.

Fix the latch side last and adjust the packers so that you have enough clearance for the door + 2-3mm up each side.

:idea: Prudence suggests that you hang the door and leave that latch side such that it can be adjusted to suit whilst hanging the door. :idea: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back