Fitting a Fluorescent Tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a fluorescent tube in my new conservatory, but I'm stuck with the wiring.

I have cut into the ring main from the house and fitted a junction box which gives a live feed to the consumer unit.

I have a small consumer unit with a 16 & 6A MCB and I have already wired two double sockets back to the 16A MCB, but I can't work out how to wire the light.

I have a single wall switch, the fluorescent fitting and the 6A MCB, how do I wire it all up.

Once it is all wired, I will get an electrician to check it's ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

SteveH

your title has been edited, please see forum rule 5.

May I also suggest you look in the wiki?

Sponsored Links
hi
you need a gear tray to power the fluorescent.

there are 4 ft 36w trays/casing on ebay for £16. All you do is wire in L/N/E and bobs ur uncle.

Thanks Morg, but I already have all of this with the fitting I bought, what I need is instructions on how to wire it all up.

Steveh24

Sponsored Links
Steveh24 said:
Once it is all wired, I will get an electrician to check it's ok.

Not trying to be rude, but you may do better to have him in come in and do the whole job. I think your level of knowledge is insufficient.

Sorry, guess the question I have asked does look silly, but I am not that bad with electrics and I have already drawn a diagram of how I think it goes, I just wanted confirmation from an expert.

Steveh24

wiring apart, are you sure you want a fluorescent tube, the light is quite harsh IMHO.

You cant add a consumer unit to a ring main. unless its just for 6 amp or 10 amp MCBs. Even then its bad practice, as theres nothing to stop anyone fitting higher rated devices. Why didnt you just extend the ring and fit a few double sockets and a FCU for the light on the ring in the conservatory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back